• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brand new hunter has deer hunting questions thanks

jastricker

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
192   0
Reaction score
i was wondering how much before the sun rises should I be in the stand, and what time should I get out of the stand in the morning? And what is a good time to be in the stand before night time. I remember someone telling my years ago he would go out in the early morning then go back to the house take a nap and then go back out, but he didn't tell me what was a good time to leave he stand in the day and what time to go back. Also how can u tell the age of a female deer, and is the size of a bucks take an indication of their age? Thanks for the help

Generally I try to be comfortable in my stand 30mins to 1 hour before daylight. The weather patterns generally determine how long I stay. I rarely get out of the stand before 11 most the time not till 12:30. Ideally for an afternoon hunt I am in my stand and comfortable by 3. More time you spend in the woods the more deer you will see!

Yesterday I sat on stand for over 13 hours! Just enjoy the outdoors!

Maybe this will help you with the age question

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 85
I try to be in the stand about 30 minutes before you can actually see the ground. I try to sit there til about 11:00. The Rut right now will keep you there as long as your backside and back will keep you sitting there. I try to be back in the stand around 3pm if I can. The "magic hour" starts an hour before dark.... You want to be comfortable and ready for anything! Good luck to you and hope you get a MONSTER......

..More time you spend in the woods the more deer you will see!

Pretty much sums it up right there. Not to get too graphic, but bodily functions do play a part. You CAN make some "arrangements" to buy more time there.
I try to remember it is supposed to be fun. Make your stand comfortable, and you'll have a lot more fun and see more deer. If you're physically miserable, you won't stick with it= seeing even fewer deer.

Really best to be in the stand before that light starts the faintest glow on the horizon. But no matter when you go, BE QUIET! I've seen deer literally less than 5min after sitting down in broad daylight. Also note "legal shooting hours".

If you're hunting in close proximity with others, being respectful of their hours is polite. Just note that whoever gets down first MAY run a deer toward the holdout!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info also in a book a read about butchering a deer it says you should let it hang for at least 24 after you field dress it before cutting it up so that the meat is more tender. I assume that with the temperature like it is this weekend that it would be unwise to have it hanging in this heat. What is the best way to butcher a deer when it is 70-60 degrees. Thanks

When I am unable to hang I generally quarter the deer up and ice it down for 2-3 days in a cooler. It leaves a film on the meat, but does allow a lot of the blood to drain which helps with the flavor.

Thanks for the info also in a book a read about butchering a deer it says you should let it hang for at least 24 after you field dress it before cutting it up so that the meat is more tender. I assume that with the temperature like it is this weekend that it would be unwise to have it hanging in this heat. What is the best way to butcher a deer when it is 70-60 degrees. Thanks
With that kind of heat, field dress as quick as possible..Remove the heat the meat will retain, and skin also. Only when it is hot do I do this a quickly as possible. Then I submerse in salt and water and ice, to cool down as soon as possible. A cooler full of ice will chill anything much quicker adding salt and water. When fishing in the keys, I use to take a case of beer warm mind you, put it in a cooler full of ice, water and salt. The salt causes the water to chill much quicker, thus the beer get colder much faster. Just my experience

With that kind of heat, field dress as quick as possible..Remove the heat the meat will retain, and skin also. Only when it is hot do I do this a quickly as possible. Then I submerse in salt and water and ice, to cool down as soon as possible. A cooler full of ice will chill anything much quicker adding salt and water. When fishing in the keys, I use to take a case of beer warm mind you, put it in a cooler full of ice, water and salt. The salt causes the water to chill much quicker, thus the beer get colder much faster. Just my experience
Not too much salt with the beer or they will freeze!!

Back
Top Bottom