• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brace speculation

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't find anything on the topic, so here it is in I think the appropriate place.
Am I the only one who thinks its just a matter of before most braces get reclassified? I did my part and commented on the forum as soon as it opened, but the turnout seems pitiful. I'm in the planning stages of two more builds that would be directly impacted by the reclassification. Please, honest and thoughtful opinions. If you thoughts are **** the atf Im gonna do what I want, please save it. We all think it, but if you have something to lose its not really an option. Id venture to say 1/3 of our OdT community would be jobless if they got charged with possession of an unregistered NFA item.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on the topic, so here it is in I think the appropriate place.
Am I the only one who thinks its just a matter of before most braces get reclassified? I did my part and commented on the forum as soon as it opened, but the turnout seems pitiful. I'm in the planning stages of two more builds that would be directly impacted by the reclassification. Please, honest and thoughtful opinions. If you thoughts are **** the atf Im gonna do what I want, please save it. We all think it, but if you have something to lose its not really an option. Id venture to say 1/3 of our OdT community would be jobless if they got charged with possession of an unregistered NFA item.

as much as I hate it...form 1. it was an easy decision for me since I own suppressors and factory SBR(form 4)...they be know where I stay.

as much as I hate it...form 1. it was an easy decision for me since I own suppressors and factory SBR(form 4)...they be know where I stay.

I don't personally own any pistols with braces, form 1 all the way but I've ended up with multiples and I'd like do to a "firearm" build. The price of a rebarrel vs pinning a muzzle device vs the stamp are what I'm weighing. I subscribe to the carry more firepower than you think you'll need school and I really don't want to carry a NFA if I can avoid it.

I don't see them trying to ban or reclassify braces. Just trying see that they are not used as shoulder stocks. If you use them as intended there is no problem.

I don't see them trying to ban or reclassify braces. Just trying see that they are not used as shoulder stocks. If you use them as intended there is no problem.

One can't prove intent by studying an inanimate object. The reading shows clear intent to reclassify, I'm looking for thoughts on if they actually will. They had clear intent to ban green tip ammo and it didn't hold.

You must have read something totally different than what they posted online. I'd say 60-80% of the braces would be made stocks if this gets put into effect. Really look at the worksheet and see what would make a "braced pistol" instantly be considered an SBR. SBA3, Tailhooks, and etc...........even a shockwave fin if its on tube that had dimples.

I have a number of "pistols", with a variety of SBA3s, SBA4s, KAKs, Sig/SBT SB15s, plus a few with standard pistol tubes/receiver extensions with foam rubber covers. To be on the safe side, and to eliminate the need to "rush to SBR", I just ordered 10 more Sig pistol tubes and covers that are on sale for about $20 each, delivered. Worst case scenario is that I remove the "offending" braces and return to a standard foam covered tube that could not be confused with a stock of any description.

https://www.sigsauer.com/sig-sauer-pistol-receiver-extension-buffer-tube.html

None of the pistols I own or have worked on would pass the proposed "rule". I completely agree it is a reclassification, I unfortunately agree with the ATF that no one is really using these as a "Brace" and everyone is using them as a stock. I do not agree that any firearms should be regulated by the NFA and its all in violation to the 2nd amendment. Regardless I'm betting on them giving out some free stamps if they do decide to reclassify the stocks as stocks. But unless I missed it the way the new rule reads it seems we will be screwed to just conform and change configuration if you want to continue to use a brace.

Ive been wondering the same thing... I have a few and have contemplated on SBRing for a few years now but never saw a reason to with the braces that are legal now. Dont want to forfeit the dough or submit myself to the restrictions, but it may be inevitable. No way they'll waive the fees, theyd lose soo much money on that. I already have a few stamps but no SBRs so Im not sure if I should finally make the decision and just do it already before the surge in application if their most recent overreach letter passes...

Back
Top Bottom