• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bought the wrong bike... Give me some advice on a new one.

I started riding 2 years ago. Started with a vstar 650.

Like they said.... Definitely get something small that you are in total control of. WOW in Marietta has a bunch to sit on. Prices kinda high but good way to feel up many models.

People say it's more fun to ride a small bike hard than a big bike slow.
I'm down to a kl250 dual sport right now since I'm riding on and off road. I kinda want to get a cruiser again soon though.

Lot to be said for getting a smaller dirt bike and beating it up on dirt. Get the wheels sliding and bike leaning and gain mucho confidence.

Riding class is HIGHLY recommended. And it can get your license test done for you with a letter.

Let us know what you get!

Triumph makes a great bike but finding one under $3500 might be tough. My wife had a Honda Shadow, which was a great bike her's was a 500 or 650 power was a little lacking but a great cruiser. I'm sure you could find a good one for under $3500.

Pick up a 350-650 cc dual sport... practice off road will improve your on road as well.. especially knowing how a bike feels with limited traction and riding on gravel, loose rock at speed. You can drop it all your want and nothing to worry about (happening to the bike at least)... then go cruiser or whatever else you want. I have a Vulcan 500 for a while and while it was fun, I kept taking it off road and getting it muddy so I decided a dual sport bike was the only bike for me.

Did all my learning/crashing on this one $1200...

had this for 6 months. enough oomph for highway, passing, street, while still being light and nimble yet full size cruiser. Hard to stand on the pegs off road though. lol

The season is almost upon us. Shouldn't have a hard time selling that bike if the price is right. Find out what bike you want next and let me know. Going to the auction next week and can do some looking around for you.
Feel free to take a look at my ad in the trader section and tell me what you think of what I am asking- I will take all the help I can get. And I will definitely let you know once I get a handle on what I am after... thank you so much!!!

I started riding 2 years ago. Started with a vstar 650.

Like they said.... Definitely get something small that you are in total control of. WOW in Marietta has a bunch to sit on. Prices kinda high but good way to feel up many models.

People say it's more fun to ride a small bike hard than a big bike slow.
I'm down to a kl250 dual sport right now since I'm riding on and off road. I kinda want to get a cruiser again soon though.

Lot to be said for getting a smaller dirt bike and beating it up on dirt. Get the wheels sliding and bike leaning and gain mucho confidence.

Riding class is HIGHLY recommended. And it can get your license test done for you with a letter.

Let us know what you get!

Exactly... I feel like I am arm wrestling Jabba the Hutt every time I try that bike. I have dumped it over twice (I am sure it appeared that I was just gently laying it down for a nap on its side... I fought it the whole way)... and while I was able to stand it back up both times without assistance... I would really like to not be doing 800lb leg presses every time I head out for a ride ;) Just not feeling even 30% in control of it... which is why it scares the **** out of me.

I did complete the MSF course a few weeks ago... and I have the endorsement and all. I just need a bike that is the right fit for me... and preferably not pink- haha.

I have owned a Suzuki M50, great starter bike for the price range you are looking at. Stay away from the rebel 250, and small bikes like them as you will want to upgrade within a month of riding it. The M50 sits low to the ground and looks great.

Good luck!

:thumb:
So I bought a Honda VTX 1800... Stupid stupid stupid. I am a brand spanking new rider, I have passed my MSF, but that is the only experience I have. So the 1800 is just way to big for me (I've currently got it listed on the trading post). I can sit on it and hold it fine- but I want something a bit more narrow and shorter take and trail, smaller engine, more narrow handle bars- just SMALLER. LOL... I would love to keep a pretty standard/naked look... If I can. I think ;)
I love the new Vulcan S. I like how I fit on it, the size of it (engine size too)... But I need to keep the cost low- like $3500. So that bike is out. Plus it's my first... I am sure I will **** it up- I really don't want to **** up a brand spanking new one. I have seen a couple of interesting models while I have been searching (the "bolt" I think was one)...
What would yall suggest I look for that I would actually be able to find used... Any words of wisdom would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
wow( beautiful) nice avatar!...sportster,narrow easy to maintain but not much for trailin without tires,Yamaha bolt good luck with endeavors!:thumb:

Last edited:
Vstar. Not a rider but almost was past few months. A lot of reaearch and talking to riders.

The HD iron 883 would be great start and size also - not to mention Ya would look damn good on that burnt orange!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom