• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Blood tracking

Codeman2540

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
I have a 7 month old yellow lab. And I would like to teach her how to track a wounded deer with blood. The only thing is being out of season, and I cant get fresh blood or meat. I was wondering if I could take some of last years ground deer and use the blood for training purposes. If anyone has any ideas if this will work or another idea for what I could do. Please let me know. Thanks a lota lot

Most ground deer, unless you request otherwise, is mixed with a little fat so I am not sure if it will work. I think you are probably better off waiting until the season, but I am no expert, and you might want to check on the GON forum with some of the guys who actually use their dogs.

I hunt in some pretty thick stuff, and I have never had a deer go more than about 40 yards, but I have walked right by them without seeing them. When I can't find a deer or a varmint, I pull out my Black Mouth Cur, and she finds them fairly quickly. I think she does it more by circling the area and picking up the scent as opposed to following a blood trail, but when I tell her to find something, she has been 100% day or night.

The dog will easily train to track in fact hell teach you. The trick is in trainng it NOT to track deer, this requires a firm hand and communiction of exactly what your after. Patience patience patience and keeping it fun, reward for the blood trailing and correction for deer trailing.

Back
Top Bottom