• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blade Bender

Im not rabidly anti-pit, but I have never fully agreed with this analogy. True, both guns and many dog breeds are deadly by design, but unlike a gun, a dog can act on it's own whims and moods.

A stray pit can be just as dangerous as one with an owner to blame.

That is a beautifully giant animal though.

Yeah, you make a valid point. I suppose feral dogs with no human influence could be equally dangerous. Oh well, its at least somewhat true, if not completely.

Im not rabidly anti-pit, but I have never fully agreed with this analogy. True, both guns and many dog breeds are deadly by design, but unlike a gun, a dog can act on it's own whims and moods.

A stray pit can be just as dangerous as one with an owner to blame.

That is a beautifully giant animal though.

I agree that comparing dogs directly to guns isn't a good analogy but comparing the Pit Bull hysteria to the "assault rifle" hysteria is a perfect analogy IMO.

Think of the Pit Bull as the evil AR15 of the gun world and boxers, golden retrievers, German shepherds and other dogs similar in physical size as the not so evil mini-14.

As gun guys we all know that a AR15 isn't any more dangerous than a mini 14 just because it has a pistol grip and some moron decided to use one to shoot up a movie theatre.

We laugh at and make a mockery of the media and our elected officials blatant bias of facts and complete ignorance of guns general when they suggest that (for an example) the mini14 is a less dangerous rifle than the AR15. Its the exact same thing when people think their beed of dog is inherently less dangerous just because it doesn't look scary :lol:

As far as the op is concerned people breeding pitbulls to be grotesques guard dogs is part of the problem this breed faces today. The American Pit Bull Terrior is a medium sized dog between 35-65lbs usually. If you want a guard dog there are breeds far better suited than the American Pit Bull Terrior IMO.

Last edited:
I agree that comparing dogs directly to guns isn't a good analogy but comparing the Pit Bull hysteria to the "assault rifle" hysteria is a perfect analogy IMO.

Think of the Pit Bull as the evil AR15 of the gun world and boxers, golden retrievers, German shepherds and other dogs similar in physical size as the not so evil mini-14.

As gun guys we all know that a AR15 isn't any more dangerous than a mini 14 just because it has a pistol grip...Its the exact same thing when people think their beed of dog is inherently less dangerous just because it doesn't look scary :lol:

Still, the analogy doesn't quite work. ARs are targeted because they look scary, exacerbated by the fact that people add stuff the make the look scarier. In contrast, purebred animals are bred for purpose. In the case of the pit bull, they weren't bred until they had the proper scary look, they were bred for jaw strength, overall strength, tenacity, drive etc. There are plenty of other dogs with similar traits, terriers in particular. I think Pits get the bad rap because of their jaw strength and combined with the trait of locking down on something and not letting go.

A few years ago I was helping my friend build a barn, and his pit bull decided to grab one of the horses by the nose. He must've hit that dog in the skull over 50 times with a piece of 2x4 before it let go.

As far as the op is concerned people breeding pitbulls to be grotesques guard dogs is part of the problem this breed faces today. The American Pit Bull Terrior is a medium sized dog between 35-65lbs usually. If you want a guard dog there are breeds far better suited than the American Pit Bull Terrior IMO.

True. Whatever the guy in the video thinks he's doing - he's selling status dogs.

Still, the analogy doesn't quite work. ARs are targeted because they look scary, exacerbated by the fact that people add stuff the make the look scarier. In contrast, purebred animals are bred for purpose. In the case of the pit bull, they weren't bred until they had the proper scary look, they were bred for jaw strength, overall strength, tenacity, drive etc. There are plenty of other dogs with similar traits, terriers in particular. I think Pits get the bad rap because of their jaw strength and combined with the trait of locking down on something and not letting go.

A few years ago I was helping my friend build a barn, and his pit bull decided to grab one of the horses by the nose. He must've hit that dog in the skull over 50 times with a piece of 2x4 before it let go.

True. Whatever the guy in the video thinks he's doing - he's selling status dogs.

You just kinda proved my point. People think pits have incredible jaw strength and some even still believe they have a locking mechanism in there jaw. I challenge anyone to do their research. A purebred Pit has no stronger of a bite than simular sized dogs and many studies show a considerable less bite pressure from pits than German shepherds, Rottweilers etc. Again, like the evil AR it's all misguided myths and hysteria. Pit bulls have a well chiseled head with a very defined jaw line, it looks scary to some so it's easy for them to buy into the hype that they have extraordinary jaw strength.

You just kinda proved my point. People think pits have incredible jaw strength and some even still believe they have a locking mechanism in there jaw. I challenge anyone to do their research. A purebred Pit has no stronger of a bite than simular sized dogs and many studies show a considerable less bite pressure from pits than German shepherds, Rottweilers etc. Again, like the evil AR it's all misguided myths and hysteria. Pit bulls have a well chiseled head with a very defined jaw line, it looks scary to some so it's easy for them to buy into the hype that they have extraordinary jaw strength.

This isn't a subject that's close to my heart, so I haven't done more than skim over info about these dogs. I frankly dont give much weight to any studies I've seen as they all seem crafted to prove the evil or sainthood of the pit. I trust my firsthand experience which has been a mix of good and bad. I dont see them as evil, but the idea that the breed was created to be "just like any other dog" is rediculous. That they are much like German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Chows, makes sense. Any of these breeds raise my attention level when an unknown animal wanders through my neighborhood.

The video in the OP paints an accurate picture. The owner markets his dogs a brutal guard dogs and also thinks that concern over them is misguided. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom