• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black Powder rifle clean

The barrel is not super hard steel. If the bore was allowed to rust badly, it may now be pitted and accuracy will never be 100%. It will be difficult to load and clean after pitting badly.

The barrel is not super hard steel. If the bore was allowed to rust badly, it may now be pitted and accuracy will never be 100%. It will be difficult to load and clean after pitting badly.
you're so negative. Just soak a patch in JB Weld and run it through. It'll fill in all the imperfections and possibly even encapsulate all the crud.

You're welcome, Greg.

you're so negative. Just soak a patch in JB Weld and run it through. It'll fill in all the imperfections and possibly even encapsulate all the crud.

You're welcome, Greg.
images

On all of mine I always clean after shooting them. I fill the sink half way up with, hot I mean hot water and Dawn dish washing soap. Then I pull the nipple and submerge the barrel nipple side in. I take my ramrod and use it like a plunger, do several times up and down until the barrel is full and the water is squirting out the nipple opening. I rinse the inside with just boiling water until clear. Then I run a rod down with a mop and patch to lube. Apply light coat of oil on the barrel, reassemble and store them.
the way I was taught!!

It's not mine so I will clean it the best I can and give it back. I like to shoot them every now and then but I wouldn't own one.
Just to show you how times have changed I will share this. When I was at summer camp we had archery and shooting activities. We shot a 50 cal. Hawkins rifle and a 40 cal. Kentucky rifle. These days parents would have a coronary if that was a activity at a summer camp. Of course we had a extensive gun safety class for our age but was a completely safe and highly managed activity. We learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I learned how to shoot a muzzle loader in the 5th or 6th grade. I still remember how to load one. I would have brush up on charge weight but other than that I recall every step.
These days that activity would be replaced with a transgender proper dress code class. Sickening!

Unless you kill the rust it will be there forever.
Plug up the nipple and fill the barrel with evapo-rust. Then leave it over night...best rust remover ever.. used it on many rusted muzzle loaders. Don't spill it on the outside of the barrel

Back
Top Bottom