Big Rule & Policy Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, the site lost a good portion of its knowledge base with some of those members and has become much less useful. It's overrun with people spouting incorrect, hillbilly gunsmith advice and too few knowledgeable people to refute bad information. Yes, the over the top behavior gets tiresome. But I would not say that the ODT is wholly a better site than it was a year ago.

Heck, I don't get gunsmith advice from anyone here on the site. Not that some aren't knowledgeable, I just don't. I can't really tell you whether the site is better now than it was before, but I like it better and that is just my opinion. Until this thread, (lol), there were fewer, as the owner called them, "trainwrecks". Which I feel this thread is headed that way as well. I believe there will be many more trainwrecks in the future. But if I knew the future, I would win the lottery, and not worry about this site.

As owner, you should know that when you start bending rules for those who "folks that do a lot for this site", you are treading in dangerous waters. The rules you put in place do not say, 11 active points and you are banned, well except for those who do a lot for this site. I will agree, the two you mentioned do a lot for this site. But they are members who should follow the rules. Have rules for all members, not just some of them. Part of the problem with some of those banned, in my opinion, had a lot to do with how valuable they thought they were to this site. They did not need rules, they brought so much to this site. Well, their arrogance overruled their intellect and they were banned. Seems like the site has done quite well since they have been gone.
I will say this again. If you have been banned from this site, I have little sympathy for you. You are an adult and should be able to read and understand the rules. You have to decide whether to abide by the rules or be gone. If you as owner feel your rules are trivial, then do away with them all. It will interesting to watch how well these new rules function.

Exactly, if I would consider bending rules for a few people then I should change them for everyone, so that's what I did.

assets.catawiki.nl_assets_12_2_9_6_29615100_15c2_012e_37d9_0050569428b1.jpg

Honestly, the site lost a good portion of its knowledge base with some of those members and has become much less useful. It's overrun with people spouting incorrect, hillbilly gunsmith advice and too few knowledgeable people to refute bad information. Yes, the over the top behavior gets tiresome. But I would not say that the ODT is wholly a better site than it was a year ago.

There were people doing that before last year as well. I dont agree that the site is somehow worse off as far as a knowledge base because of banned members being gone. I know of two people who were quite knowledgeable in their areas of expertise who left Because of some of the banned members.

Overall I would say the site is better than a year ago, even though I liked some of the banned members.

Heck, I don't get gunsmith advice from anyone here on the site. Not that some aren't knowledgeable, I just don't. I can't really tell you whether the site is better now than it was before, but I like it better and that is just my opinion. Until this thread, (lol), there were fewer, as the owner called them, "trainwrecks". Which I feel this thread is headed that way as well. I believe there will be many more trainwrecks in the future. But if I knew the future, I would win the lottery, and not worry about this site.
I don't either, but alot of folks do.

Reactions: JWC
Exactly, if I would consider bending rules for a few people then I should change them for everyone, so that's what I did.
No, not exactly. You did not change the rules for everyone, just those who have lost the ability to read and follow the rules. You did absolutely nothing for the members who have read and followed YOUR rules. The only benefits that are coming from your new rules are for those who did not follow your old rules. They were banned, and now, they get to come back. That benefits them, not any of the members who did not get banned. No matter how you try and spin it, what did you do for the ordinary member...nothing.

OS, this kinda reminds me when I was a teen and argued with my father sometimes about the rules around the house.....I would try my dammdest "prosecuting attorney" attitude with him to get him to see things my way. He would get fed up and look at me withe the Sgt face that was a second from exploding and say: " You think this is a Democracy, don't you??"

OS, this kinda reminds me when I was a teen and argued with my father sometimes about the rules around the house.....I would try my dammdest "prosecuting attorney" attitude with him to get him to see things my way. He would get fed up and look at me withe the Sgt face that was a second from exploding and say: " You think this is a Democracy, don't you??"
Happened in my house, now my kids get the same treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom