• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best Way To Disassemble 1911 Handgun

mrauditor

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
78   0
Reaction score
I have been disassembling [and re-assembling] 1911 style handguns since the late 1960's, including time in the military, and have always been taught to begin by rotating the barrel bushing, thus relieving pressure on the recoil spring and barrel link, then follow up with removing the slide stop for completion. Through the years I have heard persons state that you should first remove the slide stop, thus releasing tension on the barrel, then follow with rotating the barrel bushing and continue with removing the slide. I had heard this prevents stress on the barrel if/when you rotate the bushing while in battery. I was told this is how pros do it with their high-end handguns in competition and so everyone should do this for even their lesser valued weapons. I have never owned such as a Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk etc. What say ye ? Thanks

What you're referring to is also called the Browning Hi Power method as that is how that pistol comes apart.

The primary benefit as I've been told via Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn is in preserving bushing fit to the barrel/slide. By taking the slide release out, it lets you rotate the bushing behind the fitted area.

The primary benefit as I've been told via Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn is in preserving bushing fit to the barrel/slide. By taking the slide release out, it lets you rotate the bushing behind the fitted area.
That seems to ring a bell from a long time ago and I believe that is what I was referring to. I presume if those gentlemen mentioned it, it should have some merit to it. Thanks.

Full length guide rods require a little different disassembly methods…a LOT of the newer hot rod guns run FLGR’s, and a LOT of the younger crowd may have never even seen a GI guide rod…..speculation at best, and I could be wrong, after all, what do I know…

Back
Top Bottom