• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best reloading equipment.

Ive ran on a lee turrett for years....love the simplicity, easy to change calibers, speed in loading and cost. Of course now ive got like two of everything! Of course, this is 40yrs worth of collecting, along with inherited equipment.
I still go back to that Lee turrett press to do my pistol/revolver loads. Cant beat it.

I started reloading in 1971 with a used Lyman "C" Press (I still have it), a set of dies, and a set of scales.
Over the years I have used 8 different press's. At this time I have the Lyman "C"press, RCBS Rockchucker, two Dillon 550's, and a Dillon 450.
I use the single stage loader for "hunting" ammo, the Dillon 450 for 223 rem, and the two Dillon 550's for pistol ammo, for for small primers, one large primers.
At this time I am setup to load 380acp, 38spl, 357mag, 9mm, 40s&w, 45acp, 44mag, 45colt, 223rem, 30-06, 6.8spl, and 45-70govt.

You can't beat Dillon for Customer Service (No BS).

I use a single stage rcbs jr and rcbs powder throw. It is slow but gets the job done. Quality of the equipment is top notch. Still new to reloading. one day would like a dillion

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. I started out looking at Hornady and didn't like the reviews. Although most were positive. The negative reviews seemed legit.

I'm a diehard Hornady guy. I love it. I have the LNL and I can't see myself running other presses.

I'll say this...it's a bit finicky but once you know where and why...it's never an issue.

The powder measure and the LNL is hard to beat. If you do several calibers....this is the best setup. If you like only a couple of calipers...best to go with 650 of 1050 Dillon.

It comes down to cost per round...it's hard to beat a Hornady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dillon, obviously, for quantity. Any of the non-Lee single-stages for accuracy loads.

But do some math-- how much you save per shot, how many shots you're going to use in a year, and figure out the break-even point. For 9mm, right now, I can make them for about a dime. If you're paying $10 a box, you'd save a dime a shot. If you have $1000 in a loading setup-- and you likely will after components, scales, calipers, various tools-- that's breakeven at 10,000 9mm rounds. That's a couple of years for me. .45s, on the other hand, you'll break even a lot quicker. Even more so with .223 or .308.

My needs are met by a 550-- the 650 and 1050 are faster, but much slower to change calibers. And I change frequently.

Of course, there's another reason to reload-- that you can tailor the ammo specifically to your needs and desires. Like light loads for particular speed competitions, and so forth.

The return on investment doesn't add up on 9mm. I'm not sure I need another hobby. What about 300blk? Anyone loading for it?

I use a little bit of everything...rcbs press, two rcbs powder drops, Lyman trimmer, rcbs desk swager , Franklin case prep center, Lyman tumbler and a lot of cool stuff to speed up the process with inline fabrication hornady cam lock bullet puller, rcbs scale. I have used a few types of presses and I think it's like anything else, if you take care of it and treat it like any tool you'll be ok.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom