• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best quitting story?

Mine is very tame compared to these. I worked in the BDC of a dealership in 2004/2005 while in college. Before I started I explained to the general manager that I would need a day off every now and then for school work, he said I would not be a problem. Fast forward to final exams where I had not 1 but 2 take home exams to complete in 7 days. These were pretty challenging exams, quantum mechanics and statistical thermal physics, and I needed all the time I could get to complete; take home exams are much much more difficult and graded much harder than in class because you have plenty of time work the problems. So I call in on Wednesday to let my manager know I would not be in for the weekend. He told me I couldn't have it off and I had no choice but to be there. I wished him good luck and told him would not be returning at all and hung up.

Looking back on it now, the place was a toxic work environment and I just didn't realize it at the time. The place went under a few years later and the owners and managers all ended up in jail.

I think we may have worked for the same dealership. I managed the body shop at a dealership that had the Eyewitness news crew visit one day because of customer complaints. One morning I opened up and all the cars were gone from one of the showrooms. The bank showed up later that day to inventory the floor plan. My understanding is that did not go well. The next couple of day's I watched car transports come in empty and leave full. A few day's after that is when the news crew showed up. On Friday I cashed my paycheck at the issuing bank went back to work held a meeting with my employees told them I was leaving and gave them letters of recommendation. Then I went into the business office gave them my key's and said goodbye. Later I found out that vendors cut off credit for lack of payment and there was a whole **** show going on behind the scenes.

Did you work at the Dominos on Buford Hwy near the Western Sizzler Steak house? My family owned an Italian restaurant on Buford Hwy in the 80s and I always considered us lucky that our drivers were never robbed. There were some seedy apartment complexes in the area.

Yes, that’s the Dominoes I worked for.

I worked for a very large Dodge dealer when I first moved to Atlanta pulling wrenches. Every Friday we all stood in line with our "flag sheets" to fix our checks because they did a horrible job of bookkeeping. Yeah flat rate. One Friday after standing in line for 30 minutes making zero dollars fixing my check. I walked into the service managers office and said " This place is f#$%ed I am turning in my 2 weeks notice" He said "since you feel like that maybe you should leave now" I said okay, went to the parking lot pulled my truck in the shop loaded up my tool box and left. I had pulled a blown engine from a customer car disassembled it and ordered parts that morning. I got an unexpected 12 extra hours of pay on my last check from money they owed me over the prior year. The customer car sat there for a long time from what I was told. I had a new job in under a week.

District Manager located in Illinois for a Electronics Field Service company, hired me on the spot and placed me with one of his trusted senior guys to train me. My area would have been TN, AR and MS. This company paid for everything and all I had to do was show up. Brand new truck, test equipment, boots, internet, cell phone etc etc. The District Manager told me his expectations and the company rules. Job was based out of your home. You were required to log in to a laptop before you left, log in when you parked at the business, log in when you left the business and log in when you got home. That's how they tracked your time and anything over 40hrs was OT. When I met with the Senior guy it was obvious he was not doing what the Manager had told me. I was there for 2wks when I was at Nashville Electric Company with this Senior guy and another guy he worked with. We were setting up to work and I asked out loud that I was new and wanted to know if this job paid well enough or was there opportunity to move up. The senior guys buddy looked at me and says "to work at this job you cannot be honest and make money". The Senior guy got mad at him for telling me that. What I witnessed these two guys doing was working together on their time sheets to make sure they had 40hrs by Thursday whether they actually worked it or not so anything else was OT. They were cheating the system and that Senior guy had been there 12 years doing this. I flew back home the weekend after this happened and contacted the District Manager to let him know what happened and I would not be coming back. He rang my phone off the hook that night. The head of HR called me the next morning and asked what had happened. I told her that her employee had told me I could not be honest and work for your company. The lady went silent and I'm saying hello, hello, hello are you still there. She offered me a job at a different location but I politely turned her down. I quit and never went back.

One more...

My dad went to the local walmart, early in the morning just as they were opening. He said all the employees were still up front at a meeting. They were yelling "walmart! walmart! walmart!" as he walked in the front door...he just rolled his eyes and kept walking.

My sister and BIL worked for Sam's and WalMart corporate respectively and lived in Bentonville AR. They said they had cheers and chants they did too

A co-worker of mine back in 2018 sat down for a performance appraisal (which wasn't the best) and after the boss got done his supervisor asked him if he had any feedback - he said "yea I'm retiring" Boss asked "when?" guy says "in 15 minutes". Drove down to his shop, got in his POV, left and never came back. Been here for 30 years and was the single source handler for many sensitive projects and materials for all that time. I looked at some of the documents with his name on them that were typed they were so dated. His supervisor asked for me to help to make heads and tales out of a lot of the documents and I could only help so much because the retired guy had compartmentalized everything as a single source employee and it was hard.

And when the supervisor told me this story I laughed out loud in front of him. That didn't make him happy. I thought it was funny how ol boy just up and left and never came back.

I was once accused of referring to someone by a vile racial slur. So It got reported and HR had to “investigate”. As the “investigation” is being closed out the HR moron says to me that someone else admitted that they were the one that said it and that they “hr” knew I was not the one that said anything wrong. Along with all the “witnesses” telling them I didn’t do anything. They then say that I was going to be forfeiting half of my bonus that year as punishment. I looked at the moron and told him to keep it because I was giving my two weeks immediately and taking my two weeks vacation starting now. So he then proceeds to say that I must do an exit interview, and has the nerve to ask why I was leaving. I do that and when we finish he says that he wishes me good luck and still sitting at the desk he reaches up to me now standing and tries to shake my hand. When I declined he questioned it and I informed him that if he didn’t understand why I wouldn’t shake then he was not worth explain it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before my current roll, I was a Software Analyst at what I now view as the worst company I have ever worked for. When I started, it was 30k base, with bonuses every quarter, with a raise when you certify in a new software package, and a promotion in 1 year. Fast forward 1 year:
Quarterly bonuses are suspended, except for the guys who do your performance review.
The company doesn't have cash for cost of living raises, but it has 400k for a single person's hiring bonus.
No one at the 1 year mark is promoted.
Certifying in a new package is no longer a raise, you have to certify in multiple just to keep your job.
The icing on the cake: The CEO, in a company wide meeting, tells everyone he hates having tech support, because they only cost him money and generate no revenue. (Most of the company went dead silent knowing what he just knifed the company in the heart). Support tickets are one of the reasons most of users stayed with their software that was aged as hell, and had more bugs that I've ever seen in a single software package.
I quickly found another gig after that, and gave my 2 weeks notice. My direct manager was FURIOUS because my KPI numbers were almost perfect, and made his teams stats awesome (and surprise, those affect the bonus he says he no longer gets). He tells me I will never find a better gig than there, and got angry when I chuckled and told him I was leaving to run my own department for twice the base, plus a larger bonus share that actually existed.
My last day, the last support call I'll ever take with these guys, I didn't screw the client over with bad info, but I did answer the phone as 'Batman' complete with gravely Christian Bale voice. I made many references to their Database needing vengeance, and the fate of the city depending on their software's operation. They put me on speaker for the rest of their office, lol.
About a month later, a friend that was still trapped there forwarded me an email from that company asking if Batman could call them to fix their SQL engine.

Worked at Wallyworld on and off for years through high school and college. Local hometown joint, so very flexible with my availability and hours. Started at 16 in lawn & garden, worked through electronics then sporting goods, and eventually became a customer service manager at 18. Worked my way in and out of the front when one day my store manager (long-term, which is unheard of now - again, local hometown joint) calls me in and starts offering me the store. Apparently he's being eyed for district with goal of regional and he needs to find a replacement. He wanted to send me to Bentonville for training and I would come back for a short stint as assistant manager, then I would be given the store. Thought it was too good to be true, so I declined. Not to mention, I had dreams of med school and, well, it's Wallyworld. Finally separated on good terms after working the summer at age 20.

Well, I went back 16 years later and the store was still there, along with several of the people that had become like a second family to me. They start recounting about how the manager was disappointed that I turned him down and talked about it for a long time... he did manage to find someone to fill the role and passed the store on, but it didn't work out and they were in a never-ending cycle of new management every several months (which seems to the be the norm for most of them). He moved to district, then remarried and went regional and had to move.

In the end... not disappointed by how things turned out, but I still wonder how that particular fork in the road would have looked. Probably pretty grim as I would have stayed in the area and I didn't really want to do that, but hey, I could have been making a ***-ton more money a lot sooner in life. Oh well :smiley_simmons:

PS - sometimes I wonder if they've changed the intercom line number... haven't tried it.

I worked for a large company doing technical data entry. The time was very flexible, any time the system was up, and we could work a maximum number of hours per week to keep us part time. It was a great job while in college.

Because of the flexible hours, I never saw the boss. He got canned right before I pretty much stopped going in near graduation. I had no other contacts there in management. I just quit going as I graduated and moved away in May/June. In December, I got a Christmas Bonus deposited in my bank account. In April the next year, I got a small bonus for the previous year. In December, I got another Christmas bonus. I guess they figured it out after 18 months of not showing up.

Back
Top Bottom