• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best quitting story?

Its not the best, but its mine...

My last job was my first machining job out of trade school in Lavonia Ga. I had been there 2-3 months. Just been promoted after graduating my last certificate. Things were pretty good. Then the big widget called and offered me 3x the pay. The day after I put in my two week notice, the HR gal called me to her office. Said the owner wanted to know what he could do to keep me there (skilled labor is hard to find in those woods). I told her well obviously we’d have to work on the pay, health benefits etc. She agreed. And I said, “After all that get straightened out, we’ll need to find me an airplane to fly around in on my days off. Then I’ll start thinking about staying”. She put a big grin on her face and said “Enjoy Delta”...

A while back I worked for fedex ground under a contractor doing team driving. My co-driver had a bad habit of playing with his phone or arguing with his girlfriend on the phone while I was trying to sleep. To give you a idea how bad it was. He would scream, hit the dash and this would go on for hours in some cases. I was able to get a video of it to show my driver manager, long story short. The contractor didn't care. Well one week he kept me up every night for 3 days with his screaming, on the 4th day he hit the breaks so hard I fell out of the bed and hurt my arm. the following day I pulled into a rest area for my dot break and was trying to get a 30 minute nap in. Ten minutes into my nap he starts screaming at her again. At this point I am done, He got out of the truck to walk around and scream at her and when he walked down this hill towards the rest area. I grabbed all of this sh*t and put it on the sidewalk and left him in Virginia. The contractor tried like hell to get me to go back and pick him up, but I didn't. I drove the truck back to Ga and showed Fedex the video. They didn't hold it against me and I quit that day.

Getting chopped story here. I ran a small car lot for a guy in 2016. Met with the owner in the planning stages and started right before it opened. Worked 6 days a week (which I didn’t mind) for a few months handling everything more or less alone. It seemed like a good opportunity with promise of partnership when he opened more locations. I ran it like it was my own trying to do right by people and he got frustrated that I wasn’t shoving warrantees down people’s throats. Turns out he was pocketing the customers’ money and not actually paying the warranty company for them anyway. One Friday we sat down and he told me I was out. He went through several managers including himself over the next few months before closing the doors. American Express and another vendor both called me every few months for 2 years trying to collect from him. Learned a valuable lesson there.

Didn't quit but just before I retired from the Army as a Major I was working in the Operations Center during a training exercise.

A short full Colonel who had a Napoleon complex and started ranting and chewing me out in front of the entire center for something minor and trivial.

I reared up and shouted right back at him, I'd had enough and didn't think Leavenworth was in my future as long as I didn't strike him.

He stepped back with a stupid shocked look on his face and said, "you can't talk to me like that". I responded, "well sir with all due respect you can't talk to me like that either". He sputtered and walked away.

No ****s were given by me.

Sounds like a ring knocker trying to bow up. Saw it between a Mustang and a Ring Knocker on the flight line.

A while back I worked for fedex ground under a contractor doing team driving. My co-driver had a bad habit of playing with his phone or arguing with his girlfriend on the phone while I was trying to sleep. To give you a idea how bad it was. He would scream, hit the dash and this would go on for hours in some cases. I was able to get a video of it to show my driver manager, long story short. The contractor didn't care. Well one week he kept me up every night for 3 days with his screaming, on the 4th day he hit the breaks so hard I fell out of the bed and hurt my arm. the following day I pulled into a rest area for my dot break and was trying to get a 30 minute nap in. Ten minutes into my nap he starts screaming at her again. At this point I am done, He got out of the truck to walk around and scream at her and when he walked down this hill towards the rest area. I grabbed all of this sh*t and put it on the sidewalk and left him in Virginia. The contractor tried like hell to get me to go back and pick him up, but I didn't. I drove the truck back to Ga and showed Fedex the video. They didn't hold it against me and I quit that day.
This the winner so far.

Back in the 80's i worked for Domino's as a driver. One night I pulled into an apartment in Chamblee, knocked on the door, and the guy that opened it stuck a gun in my face and said give me your pizza, money, and car keys. I dropped the pizza, threw $20 and some change in his face, and ran. Then I drove back to the store, stripped down to my underwear, stuffed my uniform in the pizza oven, and told the manager that I will be g**Damn if I'm going to be killed over a pizza and some change. Walked out the door and never looked back.

Btw - it was an empty apartment, and the robber had broke in from the back and phoned in the order on a pay phone...

Back in the 80's i worked for Domino's as a driver. One night I pulled into an apartment in Chamblee, knocked on the door, and the guy that opened it stuck a gun in my face and said give me your pizza, money, and car keys. I dropped the pizza, threw $20 and some change in his face, and ran. Then I drove back to the store, stripped down to my underwear, stuffed my uniform in the pizza oven, and told the manager that I will be g**Damn if I'm going to be killed over a pizza and some change. Walked out the door and never looked back.

Btw - it was an empty apartment, and the robber had broke in from the back and phoned in the order on a pay phone...

I think this tops all of them so far :-)))

Good friend of mine's dad was sales manager of a well known company. Unfortunately, he and the company President "butted" heads from time-to-time and didn't see eye to eye on various issues within the company. It's my understanding these "discussions" got quite heated at times. After several years of working there, and tremendous growth, the sales manager was being rewarded (they were throwing him a party for his years of service and it just so happened he was was the #1 sales producer that year as well). My friend's dad was in line grabbing some celebratory food when the President of the company walked up to him and said something along the lines of: "Mr. Smith, congratulations on your banner year and thank you for your continued service to our company. In fact, you are such an integral part of our company I am not sure how we would get along without you. However, starting right now we are going to give it a try"...and fired him on the spot, at his own celebration.

Back
Top Bottom