Best overlooked movies.

Sharkey's Machine. I have not seen it in years, but I remember thinking for a low budget movie that had some terrible acting in spots, it was very entertaining overall. And much of it was filmed in and around Atlanta I believe.
Wow! I didn't think anyone else remembered Sharkey's Machine. A lot of it filmed at the Westin Peachtree which has THE best view of Atlanta up at the Sundial Lounge. And near the end the bad guy gets blasted out the window about half way up. Classic.

But don't forget Raising Arizona. This was the first white trash comedy. Then there is Leaving Las Vegas. My fave dark film with Elizibeth Shue as a prostitute and hot as hell! The soundtrack is awesome.
Then there are two 80s classics I really dig with Powers Booth. One is Southern Comfort where a bunch of weekend warriors are training in the swamp and really piss off some cajuns that they should've left alone. The other is Extreme Prejudice with Booth and Nick Nolte. Great action film.

Sharkey's Machine was the first R rated movie I ever saw in a theater. My dad was supposed to be taking me and my brother to something else and took us to see that instead. I remember him making us promise we wouldn't tell our mom. I was like 9 or 10 lol

Sharkey's Machine was the first R rated movie I ever saw in a theater. My dad was supposed to be taking me and my brother to something else and took us to see that instead. I remember him making us promise we wouldn't tell our mom. I was like 9 or 10 lol
My dad took me to see the Exorcist when I was 6. That was probably the beginning of all my issues.

Let's not forget Heavy Metal. The story (ies) weren't all that great but it's the first place we got to see animated boobs. And the soundtrack was the best part.

My dad took me to see the Exorcist when I was 6. That was probably the beginning of all my issues.
I had an uncle that used to think it was funny to take me and his two daughters to horror movies. We saw The Fog and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But what caused me the most nightmares was The Shining.

I had an uncle that used to think it was funny to take me and his two daughters to horror movies. We saw The Fog and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. But what caused me the most nightmares was The Shining.
When I watch The Shining now I see the brilliance. Back then it made me load my shorts. The book is incredible.

But I think Invasion with Donald Sutherland scared me more. At that time my dad convinced me that it could happen. Yeah, he had serious child rearing problems.

Another thread jolted my memory and I can't believe I forgot this one - Deathproof. It's another low budget movie (directed by Tarantino), and I thought there was too much character development, but the chase scene is great, and the ending is hilarious with Kurt Russel crying like a little girl as the stunt women beat the tar out of him.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom