• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best material for cosmetic metal edge repair

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I want to extend the edge of a trigger that acts as forward stop. Purely cosmetic. Any product recommendations ?
trg.jpg

I don't really get what you are talking about?

Only way I can think of repairing a metal edge is to grind it down, or weld it up.

I just need to build up one face a millimeter or so. Thinking JB weld type things.

Raise the height of the outlined area, not load bearing.
upload_2021-6-27_9-12-55.png

Ah I see. I would fire up the Miller, add a couple of beads of weld, then file off the excess down to the correct journals.

Which, if I had one, I'd do :) But as I don't...........

Really would like some sort of micro welding setup. The average DIY welder would just obliterate a part this small in unskilled hands !

JBweld.
I am saying this from experience if you weld it you will end up still going back over it JB. In addition you will have consumed some of the original material of the trigger during the weld procedure which then turns into a nightmare if you want to put it back as original.

JBweld.
I am saying this from experience if you weld it you will end up still going back over it JB. In addition you will have consumed some of the original material of the trigger during the weld procedure which then turns into a nightmare if you want to put it back as original.

I think you're right, JB Weld seems to get mentioned quite often, so I'll try that.

Has anyone tried the 2 part epoxy putties ? The kind you cut a slice of, knead and then apply. Easier to form to shape than the more liquid KB Weld.

Trying to find a replacement trigger as well, but 100 + year old parts aren't always easy to find, or very $$$, or just don't exist.

As you can see, someone's messed with it. Pretty sure it's a poorly fitted replacement. Not sure if it's repro or original.
IMG_20210627_104130.jpg

Can't you peen it out that much?

Possibly someone with much better metal working skills than mine could.

It's small and the metal is quite hard. If I can find a a genuine used part I may experiment further. Right now it functions correctly, so it's really aesthetics.

Possibly someone with much better metal working skills than mine could.

It's small and the metal is quite hard. If I can find a a genuine used part I may experiment further. Right now it functions correctly, so it's really aesthetics.

What gun is it for? I have hundreds of miscellaneous antique gun parts, and with my network of Antique Brokers and Gunsmiths, I have access to literally millions of antique gun parts.

Back
Top Bottom