Best hunting rifle for a young boy (11)

Thanks guys, I have my dad's 30-30 that was the second gun I learned to hunt with. I planned to pass it down to him anyway, so this makes it perfect. My dad in heaven would love to know he is going to hunt with it. The largest rifle he has shot was a .22, so I didn't want to step it up to much and scare him. But I think he will be ok.

You are right. 243 is a great caliber for local varmints and Ga, deer. Just pick the right bullet. I think recoil charts shows a 243 is somewhat lower recoiling than most common ga hunting calibers. There is a great choice among youth rifles in this caliber. But just remember simple physics, a very light rifle in 243 could compare to a medium weight rifle in a larger caliber. But for your use go with a 243 or even a 7mm-08.

If you are going to let him shoot that 30-30, unless he's a freak of nature size wise, PLEASE buy the reduced recoil loads and let him shoot ONLY that. A lifetime of bad habits starts early.
If you can find a 742 in .243,that was mine and would be my vote. A bit loud but you can shoot it on your chin.

If you are going to let him shoot that 30-30, unless he's a freak of nature size wise, PLEASE buy the reduced recoil loads and let him shoot ONLY that. A lifetime of bad habits starts early.
If you can find a 742 in .243,that was mine and would be my vote. A bit loud but you can shoot it on your chin.

Agreed, I didn't want him dreading the shot and pulling it. He went out on his first hunt with me this year and seems interested. I don't want to spook him..lol

Back
Top Bottom