• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Gulf trips

howl

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
When and what are your favorite trips to fish in the Gulf? I want to start taking some guided trips down there, but don't know what, where and when. Right now I'm looking at St. Marks for grouper/scallop trip in September.

When and what are your favorite trips to fish in the Gulf? I want to start taking some guided trips down there, but don't know what, where and when. Right now I'm looking at St. Marks for grouper/scallop trip in September.
When the water warms up, when snapper opens..in June, earlier than that for cobia

use to go to apalachicola on a meat trip and catch several hundred sandtrout with a few specks in the mix with a company
i think the guide was Big-uns we went every year in August—-

I like to do bottom fishing trips. Don’t care for the trolling trips. You need to check the regulations and see when and what is open at that time.September is late for my opinion because the water is really hot by that time and you have to run a long way out to find fish.June or July is pretty good because snapper,grouper and other fish are in season then. I don’t like to hire a boat and spend 1/2 that day riding and not fishing.They are really messing with the regulations and making it very hard on the charter boat captains.I’ve fished all around the coast of Florida in the last 30 years and things have really changed.

22FEDB4D-2A91-44D3-AE9D-AB54E2E75C0F.jpeg

I booked a couple scallop days in June near Steinhatcher. Wanted to do snapper but wife is not keen on the long rides as mentioned above.

This sort of thing is where you need a crew, who will actually go not just say they will, to split charter cost and not leave you compromising with individuals who are not like minded. Very hard to form and maintain such a group in my experience.

The grouper season starts in Sept and doesn't go as long into the colder months as it used to. I think we can still do some reef n wreck meat fishing if grouper aren't on? That's what the captain I spoke to said. We can fall back on scallops then too I guess.

I booked a couple scallop days in June near Steinhatcher. Wanted to do snapper but wife is not keen on the long rides as mentioned above.

This sort of thing is where you need a crew, who will actually go not just say they will, to split charter cost and not leave you compromising with individuals who are not like minded. Very hard to form and maintain such a group in my experience.

The grouper season starts in Sept and doesn't go as long into the colder months as it used to. I think we can still do some reef n wreck meat fishing if grouper aren't on? That's what the captain I spoke to said. We can fall back on scallops then too I guess.
With who and where are you going out of?

Back
Top Bottom