Best 308 for under $500

I would buy a used Savage 110 series (Not an Axis) these include the 10,11,12,14,16 in short action or the 110,111,112,114,116 in long action. A couple of other good calibers would include 25-06 for small framed individuals or youth (very light recoil) or .270 maybe 30-06 for average man sized individuals. (around $300 with out glass or with cheap package scope)

If it has to be new a Savage trophy hunter package with the Nikon scope, or a Marlin XS7. These are probably the best economy rifles on the market bar none. Again stay away from the Savage Axis or Edge. though equivilant to economy offerings from others mentioned here none of them are as well made and feature laden as the Savage trophy hunter or marlin X7 series.
Good luck

I like the Remington 700 too - better than the Ruger - but he wants a rifle with optics for under $500...

Yeah- I agree... just unless we're talking about a blister packed Tasco 4x scope for $30. I couldn't recommend using one of those on a centerfire rifle.

I saw a Tikka brought up by Wheeler- I've got to say that is my favorite bolt action at the moment. Greased glass smooth action and outstanding accuracy. I have a T3 in .22-250 and it has exceeded all my expectations for an out-of-the-box rifle. But doesn't fit within the budget here considering optics.

Thanks to all that responded. He bought a 700 tonight and topped it with a Nikon. It ended up being a little more than $500. But what's a few extra dollars for a good rifle. Hopefully he'll get one with it soon. Thanks again.

Shot my Ruger American .308 at 300 yards a couple weeks ago, no doping just some Kentucky windage and was getting 4" groups. Pretty good for dollar per round .308 out of a $400 rifle and scope set up.

Thanks to all that responded. He bought a 700 tonight and topped it with a Nikon. It ended up being a little more than $500. But what's a few extra dollars for a good rifle. Hopefully he'll get one with it soon. Thanks again.

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with that combo. Outstanding choice and I'm sure it will serve him well.

- - - Updated - - -

In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with that combo. Outstanding choice and I'm sure it will serve him well.

Back
Top Bottom