• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bergara BMR Carbon

13   0
Reaction score
Purchased from GA Gun store. Well below list price of $700

Started break-in, using CCI Select since I forgot my other ammo. Rifle is TIGHT. The bolt action is not smooth but did improve. First 40 rounds at 25 yards were all over. It started tightening up decently at about 200 rds. Changed setting to 50 ft for a match and then also switched ammo to CCI SV Target.

At the match checking settings during warm up, shot out the center 10 ring over 5 shots. Standing unsupported. Ran 20 rounds total before match.
Trigger is light and amazingly smooth. It shot before my ruger precision, completely different trigger feel. Stock is a little akward had to roll wrist to have comfortable trigger position.
that being said I shot the attached target at 50 standing unsupported while still in the break in process. 10-9, 10-10, 10-9, 10-10 then a 10. The I choked and dropped 2 for an 8 and a 96.
Rifle is breaking in very well. It handles very well and is LIGHT.

Action: BMR
Barrel: Carbon Fiber Bergara Barrel. No. 6 taper
Twist: 1:16 for .22 LR and .22 WMR and 1:9 for the .17 HMR
Barrel length: 18” (.22 LR) or 20” (.17 HMR and .22 WMR)
Threaded muzzle: 1/2-28” with thread protector
Weight: 5 – 5.4 lbs. depending on caliber. EDIT. WEIGHT WITH 6X18 VORTEX CF2 IS 6LBS 12 OUNCES
Length: 36” or 38” overall
Mag capacity: 5 and 10 round magazine included
Scope mounts: 30 MOA Rail Included
Trigger: Bergara Performance Trigger. Compatible Rem700
Stock: Black with tactical grey specks

Attachments

• A8EF3529-C630-4CF4-B4C7-F84A982361C9.jpeg
    A8EF3529-C630-4CF4-B4C7-F84A982361C9.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 24
Solid write up. Your experience parallels mine for the most part.

I snagged up a BMR Carbon for just a hair over $600 OTD. I'm currently running an AccuPoint 3-9×40 as a placeholder while I decide on final glass.

Super lightweight. Action started out a tad snug but has buttered up nicely across 300 rounds.

I ran a variety of ammo through it to find 1) What grouped well and 2) What resulted in best bolt feel (easy lift, smooth closing).

Below is my target from said test. All 10-shot groups.

I picked up 2,500 rounds of Eley Club (same Lot #), even though the CCI SV grouped marginally better. The Eley had far better bolt feel.

She's a shooter for sure 👍

20220917_193957.jpg
20220923_202225.jpg

New developments in the BMR Carbon world.

I did all initial shooting unsuppressed with the thread protector installed. Over the course of a few hundred rounds, I'm consistently getting ~0.8" groups at 50 yards. Not the greatest, but not awful with the AccuPoint 3-9×40 scope that I'm running as a placeholder.

This past weekend, I decided to thread on my DA Mask HD and see how the BMR grouped. Long story short, it didn't. What was previously ~0.8" groups on average opened up to ~3.5" groups at the same distance, with the same ammo and nearly identical atmospherics.

I re-indexed my baffle stack a few times with no change. Pulled the Mask off, and groups were back down into the <1" realm. Looks like my Mask will spend a lot of time on my 22/45 Lite going forward and my BMR will rock a thread protector.

I went a lot worse with a Spectre II. I actually talked to Bergara and the issue is that the suppressor battle is coming into contact with the muzzle. Solution is to put a spacer on the shoulder to provide clearance.

The issue was explained that normal 22lr barrels have .4 inch length threads to shoulder and they have .5 inch threads. Mine was more like 8-12" at 25 yards and no two were in the same area. Customer service guy understood my concerns and actually asked if he could call instead of sending me a 3 page e-mail explanation. He told me to get the SilencerCO 1/2x28 short spacer to correct the issue.

I will also say that mine loves Eley Edge (no longer made). I shot some Auto Match ammo and it was shocking to see how much the groups opened up over the Eley.

I just double-checked with caliper and I have 0.43" from face of muzzle to shoulder of barrel, and the nearest surface of my blast baffle is 0.79". That leaves me 0.36" of wiggle room with suppressor bottomed out to shoulder. I don't know that the Mask would exhibit the same issue of bottoming out on the muzzle that the Spectre II does in this instance. I'll still give shims a try though. Can't hurt, and I already have an array of them.

Back
Top Bottom