• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bears

So they don't come in the house to get it.

They have gone after my friends dinner rolls bag she accidently left in her car. Walked up the hood over the roof and got off at the rear hatch. Dented the metal all the way. Her neighbor had one poke its head under window partially open and push it till it broke and got into the house and ransacked it. I keep mine in my work room double baged and in an airtight trash can.No issues yet but I try not to give them a reason in the first place. Too many renters that set stuff out, keeps them away fro my place.

Find a bear-resistant trash can. They are not cheap, but they work well. You paid hefty fines if you did not use one and lived in certain parts of Anchorage (Eagle River, Girdwood).
Problem with trash bears is they are less afraid of humans and are more likely to attack people, at least that's what my experience has been (a reason why I never went hiking w/o Raging Bull). What's the law in GA, can I shoot a bear in self-defense?
And yes, they will peel open a car looking for food, or break-down the door. Cabins by Denali had 12" nails embedded in the doors and shutters to keep the bears (and zombies :)) out. GA bears are smaller, but they might be able to take down a run of of the mill residential garage door.

"I would probably move if I was worried about bears coming into my house at night or tearing in my garbage. I'd probably move if I lived where there was a large bear population these guys are scary."

Just dang! LMAO

Gee, I have live up here for 10 years and have bears all the time and not once have they attempted to gain entry into the house. You keep food and such from enticing them and problem solved. Here is the big boy who has visited for the past 6 years walking in front of the house. One noise and they run for the hills...you learn to live in harmony with nature. That includes not leaving food garbage outside, not leaving windows open where they can smell food, etc. As I said, 10 years and never had a problem other then bird feeders during the day if we are not home, see second picture. Easy to be afraid of something you don't understand.
bear stroll.jpgbear5.jpg

You keep food and such from enticing them and problem solved. That includes not leaving food garbage outside, not leaving windows open where they can smell food, etc. Easy to be afraid of something you don't understand.

I hear ya! That is key, if they smell the food they want to get at it. I have only saw one that didn't run from me and she had little one with her. Needless to say i didn't try to get any closer and test her resolve. But the rest hit the hills when they knew I was there.

Back
Top Bottom