Baiting Hogs

You can only bait hogs on private land. If you are hunting National Forest or other government lands, baiting is not legal.

Feral Hog

Private Lands
No closed season; no limit. Feral hogs may be hunted at night with a light (no voltage restriction), which is carried on the person, affixed to a helmet or hat, or part of a belt system worn by a hunter. No hunting from a vehicle. Hunting over bait is allowed. A resident Hunting License is required to hunt feral hogs for all resident hunters 16 years old or older, except when hunting on land owned by them or their immediate family (blood or dependent relationship) residing in the same household. Non-residents must possess a non-resident hunting license.

National Forest Lands (outside of WMAs)
Hogs may be taken with archery equipment during archery deer season, with deer weapons during firearms deer season, with turkey weapons during turkey season and with small game weapons during small game season. Feral hogs may be hunted with dogs with appropriate weapons restrictions while training dogs during dates when training season coincides with small game or turkey season. See section Dogs & Dog Traning for dog training seasons and rules. No limit. No night hunting. No hunting over bait. Hunting license requirements must be met. Hunter orange is required during firearms and primitive weapons deer seasons.

Anyone have a special bait recipe?

Here's the one I've been using with great success.

A five gallon bucket with holes drilled in the lid to let it breath
Fill the bucket 3/4 with deer corn
One 5 pound bag of sugar
Two 2-liters of cheap grape soda
1 quart of apple cider vinegar

Fill the bucket two weeks before the hunt, leave it outside and let it froth....it stinks like hell and even possums and raccoons won't touch it, but the hogs with tear a plot up for it.

One 5 pound bag of sugar

Fill the bucket two weeks before the hunt, leave it outside and let it froth....it stinks like hell and even possums and raccoons won't touch it, but the hogs with tear a plot up for it.

I don't use as much sugar... I pour a few cans of beer and grape soda in.... the stinkier the better.....

One 5 pound bag of sugar

Yea I planted a lil better than 2,000 acres of peanuts last April ,and they are still coming to them . Its the gift that keeps on giving.

Back
Top Bottom