• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Backcountry Eats Thread

Bogboy

Default rank <1500 posts
69   0
Reaction score
What sort of food do ya'll take when you are backpacking/camping? Freeze dried? Nothing? Post up some recipes on what and how you cook when you are out in the sticks!

Tonight I made Bannock for the first time. Bannock has apparently been around for ages and the recipe I used was delicious.

1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 cup powdered dry milk
1 Tbsp Shortening
Water.

Mix the crap out of everything but the water, then slowly add the water while stirring until your consistency is between cookie dough and pancake batter. I split the "ball" into two pieces, plopped it into a cast iron pan with a little oil, flipped it once. Word on the street is that you can wrap it around a stick and cook it over and open fire. Pretty cool stuff.

This stuff is actually good. I can't even imagine how good it would taste after a 10 mile day on the AT.

My plan is to mix up all of the dry ingredients into a ziploc and mix everything (water and shortening) up in there when I am at camp. Then just cut the corner off of the bottom of the bag and use it like an icing-thingy for cupcakes. Next time I will add in raisins/Cinnamon or Garlic powder. Total time from start to finish was about 10 minutes.

20140209_181352.jpg
20140209_181954.jpg

Looks good. You might look up hardtack. Simple to make, keeps for a long time, and can be consumed a variety of ways. Mushed in coffee, fried in with bacon and grease, lots of recipes out there. Easy to carry and wears those pesky teeth out in no time.

Back when I was backpacking, I liked to carry dinty Moore beef stew. Best meal ever when tired and or cold.

Looks good. You might look up hardtack. Simple to make, keeps for a long time, and can be consumed a variety of ways. Mushed in coffee, fried in with bacon and grease, lots of recipes out there. Easy to carry and wears those pesky teeth out in no time.

Back when I was backpacking, I liked to carry dinty Moore beef stew. Best meal ever when tired and or cold.

Hardtack would be cool to pack. Also, I have a 6 pack of Dinty Moore in the pantry, that stuff is excellent!

Back
Top Bottom