• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Back out on a deal???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest update. I know that some may disagree with me and some my not understand. Negative feedback was left with a detailed (more so then here) description of what happened. Moments later the user left negative feedback on me calling me names and insulting me.

I never say I'll take it unless it is one hell of a deal that I need to pick up on. I just ask to meet and if I'm not totally sure about buying it, I make sure to pick a location near to the seller to meet at so they wont get pissed about driving if I back out

Since this is a good discussion about when it is ok to back out or not, I would like to pose a question. The negotiations are done, the meet is completed, both agree everything is ok and the item changes hands. The buyer calls later and says upon closer inspection, there is some cosmetic damage I did not see and wants the seller to take the item back. I am not referring to the buyer finds the weapon will not function, just that there are cosmetic issues that the buyer did not check out fully upon inspection at the FTF.

I would like some ideas on what is "required" to do, and what you personally would do in this instance.

Since this is a good discussion about when it is ok to back out or not, I would like to pose a question. The negotiations are done, the meet is completed, both agree everything is ok and the item changes hands. The buyer calls later and says upon closer inspection, there is some cosmetic damage I did not see and wants the seller to take the item back. I am not referring to the buyer finds the weapon will not function, just that there are cosmetic issues that the buyer did not check out fully upon inspection at the FTF.

I would like some ideas on what is "required" to do, and what you personally would do in this instance.

Nothing is "required" unless you gave some form of money back guarantee.

I've taken one or two back and I've also let some folks out of deals after they've said "I'll take it". Didn't have to but it didn't bother me to do so...

I have taken one back.. buyers remorse. But I have also been burnt I traded for a lever gun that looked good on the once over. It cycled fine (empty). But when I got it at the range it was a Jam-O-Matic. On closer inspection the reciever was all boogered up inside. Like someone had the same problems as I. The reciever inside appeared as though someone was digging with an ice pick. I did nothing. My mistake but I wont deal with this person again. I may send it to the factory to repair the problem. Jamming and the load gate is flopping around. I doubt they can fix the gouged reciever. as usual... "Buyer Beware"

Last edited:
Since this is a good discussion about when it is ok to back out or not, I would like to pose a question. The negotiations are done, the meet is completed, both agree everything is ok and the item changes hands. The buyer calls later and says upon closer inspection, there is some cosmetic damage I did not see and wants the seller to take the item back. I am not referring to the buyer finds the weapon will not function, just that there are cosmetic issues that the buyer did not check out fully upon inspection at the FTF. I would like some ideas on what is "required" to do, and what you personally would do in this instance.

Ant trades I do the bill of sale or"Trade agreement" states "AS IS". This protects both trade parties in the instance the guy somehow damages the piece he acquired from you as soon as he gets home. He cant come back and say you sold him a lemon gun. Careful inspection is very important but sometimes you can't see other problems the firearm may have with just a visual look over. This is the risk you take when trading or buying from a private source.
The most you can really do is post negative feed back about the individual.

I had an instance with a guy here I have done multiple trades with, to tell me later (he didn't say anything until I asked specifically) that an SKS I traded him did not cycle consistently after about 30 rounds or so. Although he didn't ask me to make it good, I ended up trading him another SKS for that one back and after cleaning it well (my fault for not doing it before) it worked fine. I still have that Yugo sks today. The funny thing is, the second SKS ended up back here after two weeks and I BOUGHT it back too.

On the other hand, so far, I have had no issues with any items I traded for that I felt warranted contacting the person to complain or to leave negative feedback.

Did I say, I am addicted to this place?

I think the time to look it over closely is before the trade/sale. I always tell people I will give their $ or trade back if an item doesn't function properly. You don't always have a chance to test out an item when trading but there should always be time to look it over closely. I also try to be honest and point out any flaws I know of up front. I don't think I would feel obligated to give a refund unless it had a mechanical issue I was unaware of.

Raising the price on a "damaged" weapon at a FTF is very rude imo. However we are all human and subject to change our mindset at any time. Maybe you gave the seller the impression that it was worth a lot more than he figured?
Did the seller not like your trade? Perhaps it was not what he/she really wanted.
Anyway, I feel your pain. If that's the worst thing that happend to you that day, consider it a good day and count your blessings. By the way, there are a lot of stand-up guys on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom