• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Axe Handles

Bald1

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I’m new to this forum and apologize if I’m asking in the wrong place. Over the past yr or so I’ve been messing around with old axes. I bought a half dozen old ones at a garage sale. I’ve restored a few with Lowes replacement handles. One was an old fire axe which turned out nice. I have a Kelly and a Plumb head I’m working on now that deserve a better brand of handle. Looking online prices and shipping get a little crazy. Do any of you guys restore axes? Do you have a go to place for handles? Thanks

Welcome. New or not, you’re in the right place. Unfortunately for you I buy cheap Harbor Freight axes and make them look old so I have nothing to contribute. Would like to see some of your work though.

I use House Handle Co.. Much better quality than big box junk.
I just ordered a standard grade 28” boys axe curved handle for my Plumb 3lb Michigan head. Figured I’d give them a try for $10.15. Only thing I didn’t like was they don’t tell you shipping cost till after you place order. Even if shipping equals cost of handle it’s cheaper than big box and hardware stores. Thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome. New or not, you’re in the right place. Unfortunately for you I buy cheap Harbor Freight axes and make them look old so I have nothing to contribute. Would like to see some of your work though.
I’ve read a lot about that little HF hatchet being a great tool after a little file work and oiling the handle. Lots of YouTube videos on it.

I’ve read a lot about that little HF hatchet being a great tool after a little file work and oiling the handle. Lots of YouTube videos on it.
They are. Mine get used....a lot. I usually sand the rough handles down, torch it, sand again and then oil it. Then I sand the shiny axe head and cold blue it and then grind a nice edge. The rest of the wear comes from use.

there’s a guy at Rabun flea market in mountain city that has handles for hatchets, axes, hoes shovels, picks ,hole diggers and about any kind of tool handle . They are Amish made. He has over a thousand in stock. I’ve bought several from him and they are top quality and perfect fit. The flea market is open every Saturday and Sunday from first April through 1st weekend in November. If you get up that way you can take the ax heads and he will fix you up. He knows his tools and the kind of replacement handles it needs.

MuleShoe - May be the same fella that shows up on occasion over in Murphy, NC. He'll actually help you go through the bundles to find the best. I've bought several extremely curly blanks from him in the past.
No, not for axe handles but for knife handles (one below is actually ash).

Attachments

• ash dag 1.jpg
    ash dag 1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom