• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Automotive extended warranties

So, I don't work at a dealership anymore, but I will tell you that an extended warranty is only meant to bring in more money to the dealership as an add on cost. Extended warranties are hardly ever used by the consumer because the vehicle typically doesn't experience issues for years after it was built.
Most of the manufacturer warranties that come with the vehicle cover the vehicle for a decent amount of time/miles.
A lot of people think that it is the sales person who will rip them off, but it is really the finance department that trys to upsell tons of stuff, "including extended warranties ".

So, I don't work at a dealership anymore, but I will tell you that an extended warranty is only meant to bring in more money to the dealership as an add on cost. Extended warranties are hardly ever used by the consumer because the vehicle typically doesn't experience issues for years after it was built.
Most of the manufacturer warranties that come with the vehicle cover the vehicle for a decent amount of time/miles.
A lot of people think that it is the sales person who will rip them off, but it is really the finance department that trys to upsell tons of stuff, "including extended warranties ".
Couldn't agree more... if it was only financially beneficial to the person buying the vehicle, they wouldn't sell it.

I worked at a motorsports dealership-the 3rd party warranties are crap. Yea its just to make the dealership more money. Same with the home warranty for my first house, useless and they find so many exclusions so they don't have to fix your ****.

Now a factory extended warranty is a little different

Not always, some dealers are honest and sell mutually beneficial warranties. And 65% of our service department work load has an extended warranty that is covering all but $100. Most factory warranties expire at 36-60k

I don’t, but I buy a lot of cars, and have had cars that needed ‘spenssive **** fixed at low mileage. Get the factory extension. Modern cars are all about computers which ain’t cheap. Transmissions are poorly made, which ain’t cheap. Kia engines crap out at 50K miles, which ain’t cheap. The $2500 cost of a warranty is worth it. It’s insurance, yes, which is a type of racket, yes. But it’s only a scam until you need it.

I financed my used 2018 F-150 Limited with Delta Community Credit Union. Nobody could beat their interest rate. I also bought the 6-year/120,000 extended warranty they offered (still have two years and 45,000 miles left). It was dirt cheap. It's paid for itself three times over. There's a lot of electronics in new vehicles and I always buy used. Even if we can purchase the vehicle outright, we always finance a portion with Delta so we can get the warranty. Money well spent; on three vehicles.

I'd walk away from dealer warranties and aftermarket warranties.

Back
Top Bottom