• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Attempt to keep predators like coons and possums out of my chicken pen using carpet tack installed on the top rail.

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
My chicken pen is a chain link fence 20 x 30 I built many years ago. It now houses my chickens. Since Jan 2023 I have killed 4 possums in this pen. They were trying to get at the hens. In a effort to deter the little bastards I'm trying this. Carpet tack is cheap and filled with thousands of little thorn sharp nails at an angle. I first soaked the carpet tack in used motor oil to protect from bugs and weather. I then zip tied the pieces to the top angling the nails outward. Nails are sharp as I put a few holes in me installing them. We shall see if this works.

I hope that works. Last spring I had a bear get into my chicken run and kill 10 hens. It tore open the side of the coop and it was made of 1/2 plywood. I installed a solar powered electric fence, I’m not sure if it’s zapped any bears but it made my wife happy.
This sounds like a very good idea.

That is an awesome idea.
My grandfather would put mortar on the top fence rails and then embed broken glass shards in it.
Used to see blood but no lost chickens.
That was my thought. Something sharpe that if they stepped on it or grabbed it then it would hurt and make them go away.

Back
Top Bottom