• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR pistol question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk-eye

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
48   0
Reaction score
I purchased an AR Rifle a while back and now want to build a pistol sort of.
I have a Pistol lower with the appropriate buffer tube.

I have an MGI HYDRA QCB upper that allows me to change out barrels with out tools that currently sits on my Rifle.
Since the upper is not a firearm, can I place the HYDRA upper on my pistol lower and switch the barrel to something shorter than 16"?.

This configuration would not violate the turning a rifle into a pistol, since the new lower is a virgin stripped lower that went directly to pistol.

The upper is an upper is an upper right? Nothing special about taking an upper from one build and using it for another right?

If I have an upper that is for a pistol( shorter than 16") and put it on a pistol lower, then it is a pistol. If I have an upper designed for a rifle and put it on a rifle lower then a rifle.

But if I have an upper that can change barrels to whatever I want to shoot that day is that legal? I have not ordered the pistol length barrel to clarify a little. I understand the ATF regs on if I have a pistol upper it is illegal to put it on a rifle lower without the stamp.
If I have an upper for a pistol without a pistol lower but have a rifle upper and rifle lower then constructive intent can be argued.
However, I have a pistol lower and a full rifle. The upper that is currently on the rifle just has the ability to trade out barrels. I have one for my 5.56 and a 6.5MPC for hunting.

Can I remove the upper, remove the 16" barrel, mate the upper to my pistol lower and install a pistol barrel once purchased?
This new configuration would leave me with a rifle lower and two 16" barrels as a result.

Any help would be appreciated. Don't want to go to jail.

I would just get 2 upper. One for pistol, one for rifle. Then two lowers as well. So essentially, you'd have a complete AR pistol, and a complete AR lower. That'd probably be the easiest way to go about it.

You can have multiple AR uppers, and lowers, in rifle or pistol configuration, and what you're describing is not illegal either, but it's probably a little easier if you just get 2 upper. If you have 2 lowers, might as well get 2 uppers if you have 2 barrels already. Uppers aren't too expensive.

You can use the same BCG for both gun. Or get 2 separate BCG as well.

The gas tube system for an AR pistol is different, it's a lot shorter. So you'd not only have to swap barrel, but also gas tube as well. Not saying that's difficult, but I dont know if you want to go through all that hassel to switch from an AR pistol to AR rifle...

If you did want to go through all that trouble, might as well SBR it.

Of course, I've never had an ATF agent knock on my door inquiring about my AR Pistol set up. I do get plenty of questions shooting it at the range though.

Preface: I am not a lawyer

What you are describing, if I am understanding it correctly, would be legal. As long as you rifle lower is never attached to a short barreled upper you have not committed a crime. Your pistol lower can take whatever upper you want to put on it, as long as it never has a stock on it. The minute you put a stock on it, it can no longer take a short upper legally.

These laws are pointless and serve only to make accidental criminals out of ordinarily law abiding citizens, with no criminal intent. Meaning you can still get in trouble for them, even if you meant no harm, unless your name is David Gregory. DEMAND a change people.

Thanks for the info.

I will look into this further, but I believe you are correct.

How many 10.5" barrels do you have? Since you are a dealer. Looking for barrel, gas block, and gas tube. Price/lead-time/etc...

No barrels in stock, sorry. Normally only stock suppressors. Have some glock barrels coming in soon but thats about it for parts. Maybe one day soon I'll expand into parts.

Personally I prefer 11.5 inchers. 2x Longer dwell time = less harsh on parts and more reliable.

It seems to me though that when the pistol configuration is not in use the upper will be on the rifle upper and you will have a "floating" 10.5" barrel laying around that could be used to create an sbr without any tools and this, whether you ever did it or not, would constitute building an SBR to the ATF .... they're a shifty crew with no static rules.

I was going to buy one of the KPOS kits that can convert a glock to an SBR and cut the stock off of it with a saw just so that I could use the railed bits to mount a red dot sight on the glock .... but when I picked up the box I noticed a little sticker that said "owning this and a compatible handgun constitutes building an SBR to the ATF whether or not you ever assemble them" right on the box.

To my knowledge, no otherwise law abiding citizen has ever been charged with constructive intent. Not saying it can't happen, just saying I have never seen any proof that someone got in trouble for it.

Brainchill what you are talking about sounds perfectly legitimate to me. Another company makes exactly what you are talking about making. If you cut the stock off, you would make it impossible to make it into an sbr.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, no otherwise law abiding citizen has ever been charged with constructive intent. Not saying it can't happen, just saying I have never seen any proof that someone got in trouble for it.

Brainchill what you are talking about sounds perfectly legitimate to me. Another company makes exactly what you are talking about making. If you cut the stock off, you would make it impossible to make it into an sbr.

I guess my confusion lies with this:
If I have a 11.5" upper and a pistol lower while owning a complete rifle considting of a rifle lower and a 16" or longer barrel then would it not be just as easy to switch uppers and make my rifle lower mate up to the pistol upper? I just want to get all this logic crap straight prior to pulling the proverbial trigger on this build.

Since I can change barrels faster than I can change uppers(plus transferring the BCG and charging handle), I am sure the time involved to make the switch should not be a factor.

I would not be opposed to the tax stamp if it were state level, but not looking to involve any Federal agency in my personal life.

I may have to get clarification from the ATF, but Damn sure don't want any contact with them.

Don't build an illegal sbr and I doubt you will ever have a problem.

Again I'm not a lawyer and take this for what it is. An opinion on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom