• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Heavy Buffers

I have two heavy buffers for a suppressed 9mm. A 5.4 oz. that I picked up from ADCO for $23.50 and a Spikes ST-T2 4.05 oz. that ran about $40. I just don't think I would drop $75-$125 on a buffer.

I'd like to run them head to head with the others and form an informed opinion though. HSS buffers are quite a bit heavier. Interesting.....

They imply that they work across the board with differant uppers instead of changing out buffers to work with specific calibers. Have you used the ST-T2 in a 223 setup?

If it's not broke, don't try to fix it. For a .223/5.56 carbine you'll only need a heavier buffer to compensate for over gassed guns or slowing down cyclic rate for full-auto. Save your money unless you're having some gas problems.

Spike's T2 buffer is noticeably smother and way quiter than most buffers. Combined with a Ranier Tactical ETC compensator, it makes my Colt 6940 feel like a 10-22.

I fail to see how they are suppose to improve reliability of the platform. Adding reciprocating mass is going to slow cyclic rate and if you slow it too much you are going to begin to cause malfunctions, that is sort of why you have a variety of different buffer weights for different calibers. I've seen guns short stroke and fail to lock back with an H2 buffer going from suppressed to unsuppressed, let alone heavier buffers. For most carbines depending on the BCG either a carbine or H buffer is what the gun is designed to run around, if you are running a gun that is suppressed or overgassed perhaps a heavier buffer, but more then half a pound I don't see the need.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm just looking at making the rifle smoother in cycling, perhaps another setup to achieve this as Ken has on his Colt? By the way I really like that Rainer compensator.

Back
Top Bottom