• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR Front Sight Base Install

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience installing a used front sight base onto a new 5.56 barrel?

Should I be looking for a premade jig, or have any of you fabricated a homemade jig that would hold everything stationary enough to drill?

Any difficulties with the existing holes in the front sight base not lining up for the drill bit?

I do have a brand new front sight base with no holes, should I not fool with the used one if I don't have to?

In your experience is this something someone with a basic drill press and above average wood working skills (I have no metal working skills to speak of...) can successfully accomplish?

Thanks.

Drilling a gas block and barrel can be a real chore. The tough part is keeping the barrel and gas block from moving once you start drilling. You need a really rigid setup and it is difficult without a jig to keep the block from moving. I use a a jig that I made for that purpose only that keeps everything perfectly aligned.

If the shop you got a quote from can do it right for $80 I would go for it. Personally I would charge more:D Proper Setup, drilling, and reaming the 2-0 holes takes a good bit of time.

Last edited:
Drilling a gas block and barrel can be a real chore. The tough part is keeping the barrel and gas block from moving once you start drilling. You need a really rigid setup and it is difficult without a jig to keep the block from moving. I use a a jig that I made for that purpose only that keeps everything perfectly aligned.

If the shop you got a quote from can do it right for $80 I would go for it. Personally I would charge more:D Proper Setup, drilling, and reaming the 2-0 holes takes a good bit of time.

^^ I did the FSB for the ODT giveaway and agree 100% with above^^

It's not so much the procedure as stabilizing the patient. ;)

I use relief cuts and set screws in the FSB to allow for windage adjustment, but for the ODT build they wanted pinned.

Well said. That's more than an $80 job and there are very, very few people I would trust to do it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom