Ar barrel length

dragracer

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
131   0
Reaction score
What the advantages or disadvantages of going with a longer barrel like 18,20,24 inch? Just wondering. Thinking of doing a build with longer barrel in either 556 or possibly 7.62x39 or 300 blk out

With open sights, the longer barrel offers a longer sight radius. This can improve accuracy for many.

The .223 will benefit velocity wise from a longer barrel, but the other two were designed to work at their peak in the shorter tubes.

In general with all things being equal, the longer barrels won't be as rigid as the shorter tube. Many scoped target rifles have short stiff barrels for best repeatable accuracy.

What the advantages or disadvantages of going with a longer barrel like 18,20,24 inch? Just wondering. Thinking of doing a build with longer barrel in either 556 or possibly 7.62x39 or 300 blk out

The only advantages a shoter barrel gives you is to be able to minipulate a weappon easier in aconfined quaters..

Man, I bet entire books have been written on this topic. My advice would be to decide what you're building the rifle for, then research caliber/barrel combinations that will meet your needs. A 18"-20" bull is stiffer and therefore more accurate, plus doesn't heat up as quickly which also degrades accuracy, making it great varmint/precision rig, but a .300 blackout on a 12" barrel is a much more lethal and useable cqb setup, etc, etc, etc....

And if you figure out the perfect rig for ANY purpose let me know, because I'm going to end up broke and divorced if I keep trying to figure it out myself.

Yep.. In general (most scenarios):

Longer barrel = Better accuracy, velocity
Shorter barrel = Greater maneuverability.

I am a big fan of 20" AR15 pattern rifles. A2 or A4 configuration will have you in business. The 5.56 benefits quite a bit from a 20" over a 16" or 14.5". The short and dirty of it is, the 20" will do everything better than the 14.5" or 16", except it will be less handy, and negligibly heavier. No experience with 24" rifles. Whatever you do, don't slap some goofy ass collapsible stock on an A2 or A4... it just looks like hell.

Back
Top Bottom