• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR barrel installation question

I worked in the small arms shop 3rd shop in the army for a while. We never used anything on the barrels. Install torque to spec and send it down the road. Stuff that came to us was always replacements. Never even heard of anyone using loctite and there is not a reason for it. The gas tube will keep the nut from unscrewing. How often are you swapping out barrels ? Are you headspacing the bolt each time? Just because it shoots or chambers a round does not mean the headspace is correct. Uppers are cheap enough that you might as well just build 12 versions of the upper you want and call it good.

Military technical manuals call for molybdenum disulfide grease on the receiver threads and I personally use AeroShell 64 (MIL-G-21664D), known by its previous name of AeroShell 33MS. I also coat the barrel extension before inserting into the receiver to make future disassembly easier. Some folks mention anti-seize but it seems most (aluminum/copper/nickel based) have various negative traits, especially around stainless steel (copper) or high-heat carbon steel (aluminum) or as a known carcinogen (nickel) in contact with bare skin.

I personally like grease for most of my sliding parts and contact services (in moderation).

upload_2018-12-19_12-45-34.png

I worked in the small arms shop 3rd shop in the army for a while. We never used anything on the barrels. Install torque to spec and send it down the road. Stuff that came to us was always replacements. Never even heard of anyone using loctite and there is not a reason for it. The gas tube will keep the nut from unscrewing. How often are you swapping out barrels ? Are you headspacing the bolt each time? Just because it shoots or chambers a round does not mean the headspace is correct. Uppers are cheap enough that you might as well just build 12 versions of the upper you want and call it good.
I find your lack of anti- seize to be disturbing. :p

Is there any grease that is comparable to the AeroShell 33MS grease? Nobody local has it. I don’t want to wait order it and wait for it if I don’t have to.

Back
Top Bottom