• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ar 15 build question/opinion

I did also do two builds on with one of there modern series and one with the other series can't remember what. I was impressed with those two builds. The both shot right at 1 MOA so they hit the mark. I am just hoping this Hanson barrels does a little better. I had forgotten about the other two barrels I used in two builds last year. I will add that they would make an excellent choice in a semi budget conscious build.

All you need is the upper receiver vise block. That will hold the upper firm so you can torque the barrel nut down to proper specs. Each hand guard will usually have their own torque spec so make sure you refer to the manual for that info. Most of the time it is somewhere between 30 to 60 ft. lbs.. You want to make sure you go above 35 lbs but do not exceed 80 ft lbs. That is for a delta ring style barrel nut when you have to line up the grooves to accommodate the gas tube. Most free float hand guards have a barrel nut with a included wrench of some sort that will allow you to use a torque wrench. In that case somewhere in the 40 to 60 ft. lbs. will be just fine. Make sure you tighten it up in stages. Tighten it up a little then back off. Tighten it up a little more then back off and then for the final stage torque the nut down somewhere in that range. If it gets to a point where you really have to bear down on it then stop at the point as long it falls into the 40 to 60 range. I also like to insert the tool that is used to keep the grooves aligned in the Delta ring assembly in there just to give the upper some more support. It may not do anything but I like to think I am doing all I can to keep that upper from distorting from the tightening process. Also use a little anti seize compound on there in case you ever want to take it off. It serves two purposes. It aids as a lubricant during the torque process and also serves as a corrosion prohibiter and will allow the nut come off much easier if you ever have to take it off. Is it necessary no but it sure does make life easier down the road if you take the hand guard off.

9fd81a163d1c9d565a9bd82bf0dbde78.jpg

I am not wanting to “skimp” on the rest of the tools I need but curious if anyone has used this before. I know Grace makes a roll pin set and is better but would this set be fine? I am not planning on pumping out 5-10 more AR builds.

Also what brass punch set is recommended?

That's a lot more than I use. I use a small hammer, two punches for hollow roll pins, and a pin for installing detents. Might as well get the kit anyways, it's good to have extra tools.

I was a mechanic in my early years so I have every tool in the book. Go to Harbor Freight and pick up some punches and dead blow hammer. Then get the Wheeler AR15 Armorers kit. It has special tools that aid greatly in the build process. You don't have to buy expensive tools for AR work nothing really requires super expensive tools. Just get a good set of punches. You will want to pick up more tools down the road but that will get you started. The wheeler kit has the upper vise block and all the little tools to help with the installation of the springs and detents that will fly across the room if you don't have the tool to use for that. The Wheeler kit has everything you need to install the castle nut to the flash suppressor and all points in between. You don't have to get the real expensive one just the little armorers kit is fine. I don't have a clue how many AR's I have put together with that little Wheeler kit. It also has a fixture to put in your vise that the lower slips down on to do lower receiver work. It's really all you need. You can get the more elaborate kit but it's so much more expensive I can't see the reason in it. It even comes with a rudimentary torque wrench.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/wheel...1Mu3EodJcokmbKEoWj_aVNstWjWzmUOBoCPlkQAvD_BwE

This is Optics planets Wheeler kit to see what's in there. Pretty much all you will need except for the punches and dead blow hammer. Then you just add specialty tools to it along the way. I have a huge tool box that has a ton of tools in it. I also have enough room for a complete lower parts kit and upper parts kit, to extra bolt and you name it I've have it in my range tool box.

9fd81a163d1c9d565a9bd82bf0dbde78.jpg

I am not wanting to “skimp” on the rest of the tools I need but curious if anyone has used this before. I know Grace makes a roll pin set and is better but would this set be fine? I am not planning on pumping out 5-10 more AR builds.

Also what brass punch set is recommended?

The smaller roll punch, in this set, sucks! Mine was not machined correctly on the end and it messed up the roll pins. I ended up buying a AR punch set, can't remember the maker at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom