• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Appleseed shoot at the Georgia Gun Club

Thanks. Keep posting these please. That one is convenient but I'm going to hold out for a long range weekend.

I've read enough you've written to believe you are a skilled shooter in reality, not just in your own head. But, Individual shoot bosses set their own prerequisites when they teach the long distance classes, and all that I'm aware of require at minimum 1 event to attend, many require a rifleman patch. Most KDs only have a shoot boss, instructors take turns from shooting to play range officer, so there is very little, if any, one on one instruction. The requirement is to keep students from signing up that aren't ready.

I've read enough you've written to believe you are a skilled shooter in reality, not just in your own head. But, Individual shoot bosses set their own prerequisites when they teach the long distance classes, and all that I'm aware of require at minimum 1 event to attend, many require a rifleman patch. Most KDs only have a shoot boss, instructors take turns from shooting to play range officer, so there is very little, if any, one on one instruction. The requirement is to keep students from signing up that aren't ready.
I completely understand and respect that and probably shouldn't have used the term 'long range' and probably should have said longer range. I just meant I'd wait for an outdoor 100 yard shoot. I assume that doesn't qualify as 'long range' nor would have a prerequisite?

I completely understand and respect that and probably shouldn't have used the term 'long range' and probably should have said longer range. I just meant I'd wait for an outdoor 100 yard shoot. I assume that doesn't qualify as 'long range' nor would have a prerequisite?

No, you're right. Normally Sunday afternoon there's a little shooting at the end of the day at distance, normally 100 yards but sometimes longer if it's available. But 95% of your shots will still be fired from 25m. It's really just to demonstrate the concepts of ballistics, battle sight zero, and comeups for those with military style rifles.

I am getting stoked about doing an Appleseed. What is it like bringing a kid to shoot if they are newer to shooting?

Should I enroll my son and plan to not shot myself so I can be 1 on 1 with him the whole time?

I am getting stoked about doing an Appleseed. What is it like bringing a kid to shoot if they are newer to shooting?

Should I enroll my son and plan to not shot myself so I can be 1 on 1 with him the whole time?

This might be the best event for this. 24 students on a 12 lane range, so we will be shooting in relays. Your kid will be sharing a lane with you and will be shooting while you watch. Right now there are 5 instructors signed up, I haven't yet but will if my schedule allows. That's one line boss, and 4 instructors to work with 12 students, a 1/3 ratio. Every body should get plenty of one on one instruction. He will get extra, as any other smaller kid would, at the beginning until we trust his safety instincts a little bit.

We want him to be safe and have fun. We will find things on his targets to praise him for, but we really don't care how well he shoots as long as he catches the "bug".

If you are shooting with him now, just work with him keeping the muzzle down range. Straight on target at all times, we treat 45° like a sweep and correct accordingly.

Still slots on the line
My daughter who is 11 yrs old and myself attended the Apple Seed shoot in Macon Ga this past weekend. I cannot say enough good things about the whole experience. While all the volunteers were very knowledgeable Belle made mention to me that you "Freedom" were the most helpful and encouraging to her. I want to personally thank you!! And recommend my ODT brethren to attend an Apple Seed clinic. God Bless America

Back
Top Bottom