• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone use a 6.5 Grendel?

jwill130

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
164   0
Reaction score
I just finished my 6.5 Grendel build and plan to use it some to hunt with this year. Anyone have any first hand experience with using one for deer? I’ve ordered some of the Hornady ELd match and Hornady SST stuff to try. I’m planning to hunt with the SST because I’ve had success in the past using SST’s in a different caliber. I may have went a little over board on the scope, but it’s not as heavy as you would think!

Attachments

• 8BEBD287-75F1-4DD5-BDDD-C168BE99FBBA.jpeg
    8BEBD287-75F1-4DD5-BDDD-C168BE99FBBA.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 18
I just finished my 6.5 Grendel build and plan to use it some to hunt with this year. Anyone have any first hand experience with using one for deer? I’ve ordered some of the Hornady ELd match and Hornady SST stuff to try. I’m planning to hunt with the SST because I’ve had success in the past using SST’s in a different caliber. I may have went a little over board on the scope, but it’s not as heavy as you would think!

I have been working with Grendel this year. Go to my site at
https://theolddeerhunters.com for reviews, loads, hunting pics and videos about the 6.5 Grendel.

I would try some nosler ballistic tips or Sierra gamekings. The Grendel is an awesome cartridge however it’s not setting any speed records. I don’t think you will go wrong with those projectiles for that cartridge. Let’s us know what you come up with.

I use the eld & SST. Expansion better imo on the sst. I love Hornady but the eld line in grendel didn’t really perform as good.
If someone finds federal gold box with the Sierra game king or match king pro fl he tiles please let me know. I use these in .30 cal stuff & wang to give them a try in the grendel I built.

I know nothing of the 6.5G caliber

But I was talking to a Gun shop/gun counter "expert" today and he told me the 6.5G is
"only good for punching paper"..

It seemed like a stupid comment to me..but its about normal for gun shop employees anymore.

It definitely is inferior to the Creedmoor past 200 yards but I like it for <150 yard target shooting & hunting with it at times. I went with a 20” heavy spiral fluted barrel & have had success within that range. I try to use a gun within a specific purpose.

Back
Top Bottom