• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone had experience with Mr. Neal Waltz's .22 rimfire reforming dies?

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
228   0
Reaction score
I ordered a couple last week and Mr. Waltz got them to me straight away. He was waiting on a shipment of a particular steel he likes to work with so production was slightly delayed. He's a man of his word though, the die is excellent quality.

I set the shell holder and die per his instructions (included in the package) and wiped the lube from the Wolf Match ammo I'm testing.

Measuring the OD of the driving band (knurls that hold lube) at the bullet waist I see that Wolf measures a pretty consistent 0.223".
20230430_101139.jpg

I placed the EPS tip forming insert into the die and after adjustments, see that I have a consistent OD at the driving band of 0.224+", almost 0.225"
20230430_101202.jpg

This uniforming of the surface that engages the rifling and the EPS flat tip (does not change the ogive) are supposed to reduce std dev and increase consistency in MV expressed in FPS. I'm curious to see if that's the case and to check for accuracy against unreformed bullets from the same lot number of Wolf ammunition. This is the Lapua made Wolf, not the Eley (which I've read is supposed to be superior to the Lapua).

I'll post results later this evening to reveal observations. This is the first time I've ever used a die like this, PACOACU’RZR included.

Attachments

• 20230430_101236.jpg
    20230430_101236.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 10
Very interesting.. Looking forward to the recap / results..

I have never experimented with a device such as this. Next level of next level..

I used the Paco back in the day when I was serious about accuracy, just need minute of squirrel these days. Need to dig it up, last seen circa 2010......

Look forward to your results.

If it's not raining tomorrow, I'll be able to test a little I hope. Today was a wash with the practice match for NRL-22. We learned a hell of a lot and are making a few of our own stands to gain elevation, and we'll run two squads of ten each on two ranges with 5 courses of fire instead of everything on the 100 yard rifle range. We're enthused about this new match and will hold one more practice session before starting in June with the new season.

Back
Top Bottom