• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone finish off a deer near....

I lost a Good buck a few years back. I thought he was hit good so I got right up and went after him. I had some dark blood where he was standing and for about 15 feet, then nothing. I looked for him for hours!!! Never found him and never got him on camera again. I'm sure he died far away and i pushed him farther by rushing it. Hard lesson to learn. I always wait 20 or 30 minutes now before i even get out of the stand.

I'm curious. Of those willing to admit you've lost one, How long did y'all wait before tracking?

I lost the biggest buck of my life last year I waited over night to track him and went in bout 8am the next morning found where he bedded for the night but he was gone found his remains 2 months later about a 1/4 mile from where I found where he bedded that morning

I feel Ya bro. Happened to me on a 8pointer a few years back. I looked for a good 4-5hrs until I couldn't stand not see straight.

I feel ya too. I shot one this morning, a nice one, 150 yards out. Found blood tracked it another 100 yards across a river and up a small hill. Then not really much blood. It got so thick back there it was impossible to find anything. I hope he survives and is just wounded slightly. There wasnt a whole lot of blood to begin with. Im sick though.

I shot a very nice buck in Kentucky a few years ago with a TC .308 that ran to a creek and huge puddle of blood, ran right 10 yards and huge puddle of blood, ran back left 20 yards and huge puddle of blood. It was like a T right at the creek, puddle middle and one each direction 10 yards. Never found him. Creek was only 4" deep and 5' across. I crossed the creek and he was nowhere. A group of us searched the whole corn field, up the ridges, up and down the whole creek. I was sick to my stomach.

I also shot a huge black bear above Helen, Ga years ago that was estimated over 600lbs. My buddy and I watched it during bow season come into the field numerous times but never within range. Opening day of gun it walked out 40 yards from me and I shot him with a 30.06. He ran down hill stopping occasionally and leaving a massive puddle of blood. Must have found 5 puddles and then he went uphill, the blood went to a trickle and halfway up the ridge not a drop. We told DNR and word must have spread because at 11 pm a group of 15 hunters found my camp and volunteered to help find it. We looked for hours and couldn't find anymore blood. This bear was so big he made 200-300 lbs bear look like cubs. I was told it could've possibly beat the black bear state record at that time. He was old with a gray muzzle and looked like a Volkswagen.

Back
Top Bottom