• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone canoe?

It's been a long time since I've knelt against a thwart, so it took a bit for it to return to me. Typically Mad River and Old Town will be the brands you'll see in a store most often, and both are just fine.

Next is what do you want it for, how long, how many people and how much gear? For flat water a canoe with no rocker ( flat from bow to stern) and a keel will track best. A 14' canoe is just about ideal for one person to take a day trip in, add more people and you need more length. 16' is good for going tandem, but not at all hard to manage solo either.

Material is all your choice. The plastics are heavier, but much more durable. The Kevlar or fiberglass are lighter, but as said are much more fragile. I had a 16' Blue Hole made of Royalex and at 85 pounds it was quite manageable by one person. Not hard at all to carry, load on the car or portage by myself. On top of that it was nearly indestructible. I watched my Dad wrap his around a rock while running the falls on the Nantahala. We pulled it out of the water, beat the gunwhales back into shape and ran the river again.

I enjoy canoeing. Have a 14' Rogue River canoe. Perfect for shallow water in the Oconee river. Have a trolling motor set up that is a lot of fun too.

Back
Top Bottom