Anyone build/rebuild decks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spas-12 Owner

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
NRA Instructor and Chief RSO
565   0
Reaction score
My back deck is about had it and is now unsafe at this point.

I ha e tried taking a sludge hammer and then was going to use lag bolts but it doesn't want to move. And if years and years of baseball taught me anything, it was how to swing way, lol.

Looking to replace the entire thing and move the stairs to the other side of the deck. Would be willing to just repair the current deck and depending on price, that maybe my only options.

Any ODT'er do this kind of work in Cherokee county?

Any other ideas I may have missed?

20230330_131023.jpg
20230330_130313.jpg
20230330_130306.jpg

Actually, the condition of the deck doesn't seem to me that bad cosmetically. Just a good pressure wash and restaining.

The separation of the joists with the outer band is something different. I had the same problem on one end of my deck and I solved it by FIRST measuring each support joist to see if there was a problem in construction (i.e., one or more joists just cut too short. Turned out there were three that were short and that's what made it look like a true separation.

I solved the problem by ordering two big 4" by 4" corner bolt plates from Amazon and then using the below pictured tension kits from Home Depot.

IMO, it's a much cheaper fix to pressure wash, stain and install similar to what I described

1680199392806.jpeg

My deck is in the same condition. I just hired a crew that's going to shore it up, move the stairs, and replace all the railings. They're going to start work on 4/6. A company located in Buford. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in their info.

Actually, the condition of the deck doesn't seem to me that bad cosmetically. Just a good pressure wash and restaining.

The separation of the joists with the outer band is something different. I had the same problem on one end of my deck and I solved it by FIRST measuring each support joist to see if there was a problem in construction (i.e., one or more joists just cut too short. Turned out there were three that were short and that's what made it look like a true separation.

I solved the problem by ordering two big 4" by 4" corner bolt plates from Amazon and then using the below pictured tension kits from Home Depot.

IMO, it's a much cheaper fix to pressure wash, stain and install similar to what I described

View attachment 5542080

That might be an option. My stairs are shot too, so it might just be time.

Worried the boards will start cracking honestly when I start drilling into, even if pre drilled.

Yeah they are. Wife and I have been arguing over if it's a permanent house or not ( which would decide how to fix the issue) So I've put off maintenance on the back deck but now something has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom