Anybody familiar with McGraw Ford WMA?

Bumping this thread as I may stop in to McGraw Ford in the next couple weeks. Anybody had any success this year?

I hiked the power lines across the street from the parking area all the way to the boundary and set up for turkey near the creek....once. no luck but somebody got one that morning on a different section of the wma. This was years ago.
Good luck, This WMA has different access points and you should probably get familiar with them and the land to see where you want to be for your hunt. The parking area has the sign in sheet.

I've hunted there in the past. I hunted east of the power grid along the power lines off conns creek rd. Private land owners there don't take kindly to people hunting there IMO. I've had people let their dogs out on me while I was walking the lines. Deer do bed down in the brush along those lines though. Also, if I remember correctly its bow only.

Have you hunted deer at the WMA? I have always hunted out of state with my Dad and am looking to start on my own at McGraw Ford. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Yeah.
I pretty much quit hunting there.
Seems every time I go there some disrespectful Yahoos eff up my hunt in one way or another.
Gotta love the clowns that come out of the woods and stand at their truck with the radio blaring scaring away every deer within a half mile while they try to talk over the radio to one another.
I like to go places in the mountains now where nobody is around .
On public land you still sometimes run into weirdos…….I could write a freaking book on the weirdness.

Best bet is to score some private land or go way deep on public land.

On GA372 out of Ball Ground there is designated parking area across form Conns Creek Road.
I believe you can also park adjacent to the new bridge over Etowah River.
There is another entrance (easily missed) accessed by Dodd Lane a little further down 372 after you cross river. You have to drive past some houses and it dead ends into WMA.

View attachment 2764323 View attachment 2764324
Good info! Anyone know - for hunting are you allowed to just park on teh side of a road by where you enter if you want to hack it and not use a trail? Or are you required to park in designated parking areas only and not on road sides generally in WMAs? Have had trouble figuring this out

Resurrecting this thread. Got my bow restrung and have some free time - wanted to see if anybody hunts this or has and wanted to share some tips - dos - donts, etc? Please DM me if you have info you’d like to share

Back
Top Bottom