Any tips on reloading Steel Case Ammo....

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenmd

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before... I just didn't find the thread....

I see a lot of ammo at real cheap prices.... then I note that it is steel cased.... but re-loadable, so it states. I have never reloaded steel cased ammo before... what are the pros and cons of it?

The malleable steel they make cases from is softer than a carbide insert for hardened pistol resizing dies. I have loaded a good bit of it in 9MM and .45ACP. Worked like a champ! I got a couple hundred pieces off the ground in Hawkinsville at the WMA range. Not a thing wrong with it. Just get it before it rusts. I have never loaded rifle brass that was steel though.

steel is much harder to work with but cheap to produce. not made to any match standards so if plinking is all you want then give it a try. if accuracy is number 1. go brass

Can you show me an example of reloadable steel cases? I've not heard of such. Brass ain't near that hard to come by, is it? I know anything can be done, but why?

Last edited:
All or nearly all are berdan primed (two small flash holes rather than one single). You can reload berdan but it is a PITA and steel even more so.

Go brass single flash hole (boxer pimed) brass and no worries with reloading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reloading steel, I have done it but with so much brass out there, why would you want to, unless you do not have any? The steel 223 that I reloaded was wolf brand and the biggest problem I saw was that there is a laquer on the outside of it and when I run the steel empties in the tumbler, it stripped it off and so I worried that the case might stick in the chamber later on, or rust easier. Same thing with 40's and 45's. The only steel 45's that I have come across that seemed better were some I got that were from WWII. As previously stated, be careful to not try to reload a berdan primed empty with boxer dies.

My recommendation would be to get some good disability insurance ... I've read posts about case ruptures occasioned by reloading steel ... not something that I would gamble on just to save a few dollars!

GOOGLE FCCB they have some good prices on processed BRASS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom