• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any Pilots on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'll probably get beat up for this, but, you honestly can learn a lot (if you have no experience at all) by loading up some Microsoft Flight simulator / other similar programs; you will learn a good bit

I used Microsoft flight sim a bunch when I worked on my instrument rating. It's pretty accurate for the scan and becoming proficient on procedural stuff but not so much for seat of the pants or learning real landing stuff.

I got my private in 2.5 months at a cost of about 4500 back in 98. From there to commercial multi with instrument took about 7 months and cost about another 13-15 iirc. I'm sure price per hour has gone up since then. So, depending on how much effort and time/money you can devote it doesn't have to take that long. I know guys who went from 0 time to private in about a month flying twice a day.

It should also be stated that you pay for your instructor's knowledge base; It goes without saying that you'll normally pay more by-the-hour based upon what the instructer is certified to instruct/certify you on.

I used Microsoft flight sim a bunch when I worked on my instrument rating. It's pretty accurate for the scan and becoming proficient on procedural stuff but not so much for seat of the pants or learning real landing stuff.

I used several programs, each had different items that helped me familarize myself with patterns, procedures, radio calls, flap settings, wind speeds, etc, etc .... while certainly not 100% accurate or all encompassing, I did get a leg up on about half of the material.

Thanks for the input, i don't plan on changing career paths or anything, Just want to do it for personal satisfaction. Ive always had an interest in aviation so its more of a bucket list thing than anything else.

I'll probably try to do a discovery flight soon, and in the meantime use the simulator to try to work on basic instrumentation, general procedures, and terminology.

Unless I can find anyone who wants to trade for IT work!

I come from a long line of pilots. Getting your license to fly recreational is one thing. But if you're interested in a career change, its a long row to hoe just to get in the business now. The FAA up'd the mandated minimum required flight hours from around 250 to now around 1200. Thats the minimum number of hours required before you can even apply at a regional airline. If you price what it cost per hour to get those hours under an instructor, its almost like paying for med school. The only viable way to acquire the needed hours is through the military and thats flying your butt off every chance you get. By that point you may as well stay in the military. Why leave a gov job to start out making $22k a year? This all sounds bad right? Its because it is. Things have changed a lot since the golden era of flying. I suggest making friends with someone who has a small prop plane who would take you up with him and quench your appetite for it. A friend with a plane is like a friend with a boat. Its a whole lot cheaper that way. I saw my dad come home absolutely burned out the last 12 years he flew. Its not at all like it used to be. The flight sim is also a cheap alternative.

Thanks for the input, i don't plan on changing career paths or anything, Just want to do it for personal satisfaction. Ive always had an interest in aviation so its more of a bucket list thing than anything else.

I'll probably try to do a discovery flight soon, and in the meantime use the simulator to try to work on basic instrumentation, general procedures, and terminology.

Unless I can find anyone who wants to trade for IT work!
Cant help ya with the trade, but if you do pick up a sim program, get yourself acquainted with the Cessna 152 & 172, pretty common beginner a/c. I know computer flight sims may sound funny, but many of the gauges and layouts are similar. If you want to get a little more prepared, drop a few extra dollars on a good PC joystick, some have force-feedback to give you more "feel" for stalls and such.

At the very least, you'll learn pattern maneuvers and the programs are pretty close on stall/rotation speeds. By no means is it a replacement for true in-person instruction, but it can't hurt.

I'm a pile it.
Pile it here, pile it there, pile it on a truck or anywhere.

trackloader.jpg

Telling folks I'm a pile-it just seems more glamorous than being grounded in reality.

Lots of good info here. My 2 cents, do the sims, pay for some flight time at a field, and get FAA/AIM manual and start reading that. It will help you when you go take you license exam. After that you can get yourself a learner plane for les than 20k if you shop around and start logging hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom