Any of y'all ever get great advice from your dad?

My dad was the life of the party or room wherever he went. He was to busy cracking jokes and being funny to impart any wisdom. What little bit I got from him was about mechanical stuff and still then I had to learn that with hard knocks. Other than that " feget about it ".

:laugh:

What in the world? Where did he grow up? I've never heard that before in my entire life!

Daddy was a citizen of the world. One of his great grandmothers was Chinese. (Imagine a mixed marriage back then!) On the other side of the family one of his grandmothers was Scots.

He used chopsticks to eat with around the house and could even use an abacus. Yet he could hunt, fish and trap with the best of them. Learned more from him than I could possibly share here.

My Dad was my best friend, his advice was almost always spot on. Too bad I didn’t listen more because I’d probably be pretty well off if I had. He was wrong about a couple of things though, he thought my wife & I were too young to marry and even offered me $1k not to get married but next January will mark 45 years we’ve been married. And he also thought we were too young to start a family a little more than a year after we got married but we have the two best sons anybody could ever hope for and they’re both self sufficient and have their own homes. He would be so proud of those two. He passed suddenly in November of ‘98 a week after me and my sons went to visit him in Tennessee. My wife and I were with him at Baptist Hospital in Knoxville when he drew his last breath. The hardest thing I’ve EVER had to do was tell my Dad who was still conscious that if it was too hard to fight it he didn’t have to hold on any longer and I would be okay after he was gone. A tear ran down both sides of his face and he was gone just a few seconds later. I’ve been playing that scene in my head every single day multiple times a day for almost 25 years, I can’t get it outta my head. I miss that old dude more than I can ever express…😢
Well done. On the $1k, he may have been testing you.........You passed on all counts.....

Back
Top Bottom