• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any beekeepers?

heard honey virtually never expires... correct?

There is no "virtual" to it. It never expires. If harvested w/ too much water, it might crystallize, but never goes bad. I've read that they found honey in the pyramids that was perfectly edible.

ETA: we are talking about natural raw honey, not that "imitation" crap that comes from the supermarket. That stuff is more sugar water than honey. But, it still may not expire?

There is no "virtual" to it. It never expires. If harvested w/ too much water, it might crystallize, but never goes bad. I've read that they found honey in the pyramids that was perfectly edible.

ETA: we are talking about natural raw honey, not that "imitation" crap that comes from the supermarket. That stuff is more sugar water than honey. But, it still may not expire?
That's what Ive heard. That is neat. Good to know if anything ever happens you will always have that source of sustenance.

You really should start coming to the beekeeping meetings. Lots of information on sustainable beekeeping. That's why we are not worried about losing the hives. She is going to start making queens tomorrow and in a few months we will be back on task w/ multiple hives. Live and learn. No matter how much we read, sometimes we just have to live it.
We did a class up here with the Cowetta method instructor, but I hear you on the meetings. It has been very busy around here.

True Tupelo honey won't go to sugar. It's my favorite and I usually buy some each year around Wewahitchka or Apalachicola, but it was unavailable/too high last year because they sad they had a light harvest.

I found about a dozen dead and/or dying in my downstairs spare room the other day. I'm guessing I may be a bee keeper and just don't know it. No other activity and no activity on those exterior walls outside. I'm sure once it warms up a little more that if I have a problem I'll know it. In the event I do have a hive, one of y'all want it?

Although we suffered a setback by loosing some hives, we still were able to extract honey. This is our first harvest. Picture represents about half of what we were able to extract.

FullSizeRender (20).jpg

I found about a dozen dead and/or dying in my downstairs spare room the other day. I'm guessing I may be a bee keeper and just don't know it. No other activity and no activity on those exterior walls outside. I'm sure once it warms up a little more that if I have a problem I'll know it. In the event I do have a hive, one of y'all want it?

If you do end up having a hive in your house let me know. I know a guy that is licensed and insured to do bee removal. It's not as easy as catching a swarm, a cut out will have to be done and the queen found to encourage the remaining bees to move out.

If you do end up having a hive in your house let me know. I know a guy that is licensed and insured to do bee removal. It's not as easy as catching a swarm, a cut out will have to be done and the queen found to encourage the remaining bees to move out.

Oh they're in there. I have about a 7x8 ft section of brick wall on the first floor that they are going in an out of. They have about 5 or 6 entry/exits in the mortar. The construction part of the removal is easy, that's what I do. The not getting stung part is where things get tricky. I am thinking about ordering a bee suit from tractor supply and going for it. I am moderately allergic to bee stings, no epi pen just major swelling. I have not been stung in years so I don't know if that has gotten any worse. I realize that a sane person would not take the risk of a possible ER trip over a few bucks to hire a professional but.....

Back
Top Bottom