• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any beekeepers?

So my wife says you need to shrink the hive down and try to get a high density of bees in the hive they will take care of the Beetles as long as there are no holes or crevices in the hive or frames. As far as the other boxes go treat them organically or chemically or you can just stick em in the freezer would probably be the best bet.
Well, like mama always said, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is...

She kept commenting on the rotten fruit smell the entire time we were moving the hives. She went out today and removed the tape off the hives and found hive beetles :censored::mad::censored::censored:

We haven't inspected the hive and removed the frames to see how bad the infestation is, but she is thinking the worse. One of the hives is super busy, so I think it will survive as it seems pretty strong, not sure about the smaller hive yet. She is reading her bee books now to try to figure out what to do next.

So my wife says you need to shrink the hive down and try to get a high density of bees in the hive they will take care of the Beetles as long as there are no holes or crevices in the hive or frames. As far as the other boxes go treat them organically or chemically or you can just stick em in the freezer would probably be the best bet.

She rambled on about moving these frames to this box and taking this hive and doing so and so... I finally told her to just come up w/ a plan and I would help her, but she did like your wife's idea about removing some of the boxes and combining bees to make a greater density of bees in each hive. We have a split that isn't very active, so I think we should have done that to begin w/? We will figure out something this weekend and hopefully get this taken care of quickly.

I am a new beekeeper and will be following here

This is a post that I put on our mini farm page earlier today, but y'all should all know about Mann Lake as well:

If any of you decide to get into the beekeeping hobby, I can not possibly recommend a supply company any more than I do Mann Lake. I ordered 2 complete hives Wednesday afternoon and they were delivered about 30 minutes ago. From PA to GA w/ free shipping in under 48hrs. I had numerous emails between their customer service rep and myself about shipping options and just couldn't afford the premium shipping services. So she guaranteed to get it on the FedEx truck the same afternoon that I purchased the items. She did as she said she would (from MN) and they are here. Less than 48hrs and that's w/ free shipping.

Note: I'd like to point out that I tried to purchase hives from a local supplier, but they refused to allow local pickup. The best that he would guarantee was a Sunday delivery w/ me paying for the premium shipping. Please understand, this is a local company based less than 10 miles from my house and he refused local pickup!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mann-Lake-Ltd-Beekeeping-Supplies/122938784397404?fref=ts

Well, the day has come. We finally got the new equipment and will be moving the bees today. Thankfully, I found a master beekeeper that is willing to come show us what to do. He is even bringing an extra suit for the girlfriend, so that at least one of us will be protected. I plan to watch from a safe distance away from the angry mob. :)

Well, the day has come. We finally got the new equipment and will be moving the bees today. Thankfully, I found a master beekeeper that is willing to come show us what to do. He is even bringing an extra suit for the girlfriend, so that at least one of us will be protected. I plan to watch from a safe distance away from the angry mob. :)
Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom