• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any AK 'smiths on the Northeast side or near the airport?

Thanks for all the replies. I have a crimped gas block on a Saiga .223 that is canted. I put it on a bridgeport and using a 1/4" ball end cutter removed the dimples and went a little into the barrell to ensure the crimp was removed-about .100" avg depth from the surface of the gas port. With a .075" thick gas port wall i figured that was more than enough to break the dimpled surface and move block over to the right. After fabricating a barrell block out of oak I clamped it down and using a 1" thick x 10" long piece of Kydex I proceeded to tap (O.K.-hit) the gas block with a BFH dead blow. Now I notice it has moved a little too far over to the right and when I placed the piston in it is rubbing the left side wall of the gas block. The only problem is the index marks I made on the gas block and barrell to indicate rotation amount show no gas block rotation!! So I do believe I have bent my barrell!! Yaaaa!!!-I now have a project gun!!!!! I put two straight edges along both sides of the the receiver and along the barrell and it looks like the barrell is equidistant though and maybe not bent(????) The FSB was removed by the previous owner and looking at my RSB it looks now like it might be canted to the left. Previous owner had removed FSB and put an Ace clamp on Front sight that bolted on top of the gas block. When I first got it and shot at 25 yrd the shot group was 8-10" low and to the right with the front sight against the right stop and the rear Tech Sight against the left stop. ANybody got a way to see of barrell is bent other than the staight edge against receiver/barrell method? I guess I should have pressed the gas block off completely first but that is hindsight now. Anybody got an idea or should I take it to Moss Pawn. They seem to have been reccommended on a number of forums including this one.

Last edited:
You can check it a barrel is bent by looking at the shadow inside the bore. It should be a near perfect triangle if its straight, if it's not then it should appear to be an oddly shaped triangle.

AK bent barrel1.jpgAK bent barrel.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom