• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Antique Ball Revolver Authenticating Tips Needed

If you contact the seller it does not create a case. You have to intentionally create a case. I would have had I waited so long. A lot of these guys want to string you along for 30 days so you can't leave them a negative.

It did create a case for me when I used the contact seller tab from the listing.... I am not sure if I agreed to create a case or not while using the link, but my point to him was that this was not intentional.... I agree with the stringing along thing.... He finally came clean and told me that due to the weather, he didn't send it out until last Friday. I usually don't give negative feedback unless something was intentional.... I think he didn't give me the tracking number because he sent it out so late.... Either way... acting like that when it was his fault is a good way to get negative feedback from a passive buyer. Negative feedback usually hurts a seller worse than a buyer..... I have never had someone not sell to me.... but I know I haven't purchased from sellers due to there negative feedback... end rant again.... :)

I trade in or really buy and sell Colt Mid 1800 Percussion Revolvers, it not difficult to distinguish the 2ND Generation Percussion Revolvers Colt built which there are people that collect the 2ND Generation guns and they bring some pretty high prices. I advertise my Colt Navy, Army, Police, 1849'S on the Colt forum and I don't buy a gun unless it is pretty nice and as a norm if I place an ad in the afternoon and send pictures out over night the gun is sold by breakfast time the next morning. I have one Gentleman in Arizona that has bought one gun per week for the last three weeks. You need to buy a beautiful book that details in pictures and with written descriptions of all Colt Revolvers " The Catalogue of Colt Handguns". If you are going to collect or just interest in the history of the most famous guns ever built it is a must.
I have right now an 1862 Colt Police Pocket revolver that is a four digit serial number making it built in 1862 that I am going to take pictures off later today and place an ad for it later today that is a very nice gun.
One rule of thumb to tell the difference in a true 1851 Navy which is the most recognizable of the old Colt Cap and Ball guns which the greatest gun fighter/Lawman Bill Hickock carried a brace of
until he was shot in the back in the 1870'S even though Colt cartridge gun were available is if it looks too new to be true it is. An original 150-160 year old gun is not going to have 85% of the bluing left on it.
In closing wouldn't it be great if they had the technology back then to put a chip in the old Colts that you could download the history it had experienced.

Back
Top Bottom