• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another bike temp thread

Maybe you need to check the water pump? Idk squat about street bikes, but if it was a MX bike i would change the fluid, then go to the water pump.

Ok since now you're worried its the perfect time for a cooling system service. Drain the coolant, replace the thermostat and refill with WATER. Yes water. Check your hoses and put a screwdriver on all your clamps to make sure they're tight.
Run it till she warms up and check for leaks which is why you use water. When it come up to temp use an IR gun or shut it down and make sure the core is an even temp with no cold spots.
If it's not leaking and the core checks out drain water and refill with coolant/water or pre mixed coolant.
Should be able to do it for around $30 with coolant, thermostat, o-ring/gasket.

Sounds normal to me.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as the fan cuts in when it gets hot.

Why are you worrying about nailing it when it's hot? Does it knock? If so, you could switch to premium gas.

Sounds normal to me.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as the fan cuts in when it gets hot.

Why are you worrying about nailing it when it's hot? Does it knock? If so, you could switch to premium gas.

^yes. premium fuel would help to limit knock, as would a proper tune. Most knock comes from running in high gear and trying to go WOT. Coming from a turbo boxer guy knock is a big deal in my ride. If you dont have your RPMs up and dump a metric ass ton of fuel in the cylinder you can get, in the worst case, detonation, but your chances of knocking go up dramatically. Down shift to get your RPMs up and then jump on it and run premium if your worried about knock.

So to answer some of the Q's. Fan kicks on at 212, I run 93 only, nothing blocking radiator. The only way I can keep it under 200 is to get out from behind traffic and hit 50+ mph.

Sounds like you're good. 210-220 is fine for most oils, running too cool actually doesn't let the oil flow properly (too thick). Most manufacturers have the fan kick on about 215 from what I read so you should be ok there. My Hondas all kick on right at 210-212 or so according to my IR gun. According to the internet the "HI TEMP" warning on Ninjas is around 248. I wouldn't wait that long but as far as the few extra degrees, if it's still within operating range I wouldn't go chasing a problem that may or may not exist (IMO).

Here's some internet gurus to confirm:
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/help-me-fix/438693-what-considered-normal-operating-temp.html
http://www.kawiforums.com/2009-2012-zx-6r/198283-2011-zx6r-proper-operating-temperature.html
http://zx6r.com/zx6r/19061-normal-tempature-07-zx6r.html

Ride Safe!

Drove my ZX6R to work today for the first time since October (yea, I work a long drive from home, so just don't take it to work in the colder months). Anyway, last year the highest I ever saw the temp get (and it was a hot day in August) was 216. As long as I was moving the temp stayed below 200.

Well today, in bumper to bumper traffic (around 75 degree air temp), it was hovering between 212 and 218, went to 220 once. But I noticed that even once I traffic got moving (40-45 mph) the temp stayed between 203 and 208. It wasn't until the sun went down, the air temp dropped a little, and traffic dissipated that I could keep it below 200. And even then it would still jump to 203-205 at stop lights (185-196 while moving).

WTF? The only thing different is I changed the oil in late October to full synthetic.
you have to change the coolant every couple of oil changes..refer back to maintenance schedule from manual that stuff has to be flushed out and the fan and thermostat checked or replaced

Back
Top Bottom