• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another bike temp thread

AKguy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
74   1
Reaction score
Drove my ZX6R to work today for the first time since October (yea, I work a long drive from home, so just don't take it to work in the colder months). Anyway, last year the highest I ever saw the temp get (and it was a hot day in August) was 216. As long as I was moving the temp stayed below 200.

Well today, in bumper to bumper traffic (around 75 degree air temp), it was hovering between 212 and 218, went to 220 once. But I noticed that even once I traffic got moving (40-45 mph) the temp stayed between 203 and 208. It wasn't until the sun went down, the air temp dropped a little, and traffic dissipated that I could keep it below 200. And even then it would still jump to 203-205 at stop lights (185-196 while moving).

WTF? The only thing different is I changed the oil in late October to full synthetic.

Assume its water cooled, got the basics covered like enough coolant and the radiator is clean and nothing is blocking it?
Does it use a cooling fan?

If that's all good then maybe you gained too much weight or you should stop riding wheelies ....

Try changing and flushing your coolant if you haven't done it. For even better results use Water Wetter.

FWIW I seem to remember my bike hovering in the 200teens to 220ish when I would be in traffic.

Yea. My R6 runs pretty cool. Right at 180 on a hot day when I'm rolling. It'll get up to 215 or so sitting in traffic. My brother's 636 runs pretty hot. Around 200 when riding and in the 220's sitting around.

If it's a real worry pick up an IR gun and verify the sensor is working correctly. A little corrosion on the blades where the signal wire connects or between the sensor and the radiator/engine and it'll skew the readings. Those things are only accurate something like +/- 5% on a good day. I'd say ride on man.

That's pretty well normal running temp on a kawasaki. You should be seeing your fan kick in at about 214. My 600 hits about 200 this time of year stopped. In the heat of summer you may see mid to high 220's. you can go to kawaski.com and download your manual. Don't quote me on this but, I believe the manual says hot is at 245. I usually do not start getting concerned til I see 228. As Lazarus said never hurts to check your stuff and add water wetter. It should help you shrugg of a few degrees.

Back
Top Bottom