• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

All my revolver guys...

I have a Smith 586 (no dash) that has never been back to Smith for the "cylinder binding" recall.
Unfortunately, I must have fired a few hot rounds...the cylinder gets stuck and it takes a HARD smack to get it to release.
I think I have to send it back for the dreaded M stamp from Smith. Any ideas?

Also it could REALLY use a re-blue.
Does anyone know if Smith would re-blue while they have the 586, or would a gun shop be better?
Thanks ODT!
-N

I use Myron from Aces n Eight' s gunsmithing for my REVOLVERS, I have a 586 also, plus he's certified buy Smith n Wesson to 're-blue guns.

The first-generation S&W 586 was made in the early 1980s, right? (Per Wikipedia).
S&W will not reblue or otherwise work on a revolver made more than 25 years ago-- I forget the date, but it's in the early 1990s.
I'm pretty sure that's what their website says.
Did you consider that issue?

Not sure about the bluing, but I've had close friends send their 686 and 586-1 for the recall, I believe Smith is always honoring that.

yep. love me some 586/686.
What's not to love.. Mine is a virgin and staying that way unless a problem should arise.. Keep us posted.

0723152048.jpg

Godawgs90, yes, S&W is still honoring their recall. Call them, ask for a shipping label and send it in. The M586 was introduced in 1981 using the new three letter prefix of AAA-0001. The M586 was produced until 1986 when the M586-1 began production.
S&W does a good job of re-bluing, but the bluing process has changed since 1981. The bluing process produces a blue that is slightly darker than the 1981 version. Some like the newer bluing better, some not so much, but if you are thinking of re-bluing, ask them about this. S&W has improved their horrible customer service in the last few years. Recently, I have heard that they are really good at helping out S&W owners. Here is their number, tell them what you have, don't mention who owned it first or if you are not the original owner, it does not matter. This is a recall on the gun, regardless of who owns it. Here is their number
  • 800-331-0852

I believe 75% of a good reblue is the prep work, so you can guess why 'cheap' jobs are cheap. I'd wager S&W give pretty good value for money if they'll do it, they wouldn't return some buffed out blotchy hunk.

Back
Top Bottom