• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on cleaning potentially corroded bores

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I've been asked by a friend to clean her deceased husband's rifles, (SMLE, FAL, AK47). Fairly certain they were put up around 10 years ago after being fired with corrosive surplus ammo, (he shot a lot of surplus stuff and wasn't much into cleaning).

Anticipating the bores may be pretty rough, so I'd like to go armed with the best product(s) to tackle the task, any recommendations ?

Never tackled such an animal, but I use hoppes foaming bore cleaner on my suppressors and does a good job. The appropriate sized brass brush and a cleaning rod with drill can take the elbow grease out of scrubbing. You should know pretty quick if they are ruined.

If there is a lot of visible corrosion/crud in the bore, I'll plug them at the muzzle end, stand them up muzzle down, fill the bore and chamber with Montana X-Treme Copper Killer, and let them sit a day or two. After that, scrub them out with a bronze bore brush.

I like to use an electric kettle to boil water. Pour down bore. Scrub-a-dub-dub with bore and chamber brush. Maybe rinse and repeat as necessary. Then care for as per anything else using your favorite cleaner/lube.

Not sure if the hot water "opens the pores" of the metal or not. But it sounds good.

Good luck. And good on you for helping her out!

Thanks all. I'll only have a day to work on them, so the foaming bore cleaner sounds like it has potential.

Back
Top Bottom