• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Adjustable gas block on a AR-10

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
So I like my 6.5 Creedmore bolt gun well enough I am going to build me a large frame AR chambered in the round. I have most of the parts picked out, going with the proof research 24 inch barrel with their strange length gas system. I am running a full mass BCG setup and most likely an A2 rifle length setup on the gun. My concern is the gas block. There is no standard on the big frame AR's and even less on a 6.5 Creedmore version. I am not a fan of adjustable gas blocks at all but proof recommends one for this application even with their extra length gas system. The gun will be run suppressed 99% of the time. Has anyone run a similar setup without the adjustable gas block with positive results? I'd hate buy something I dont need instead of 2 boxes of ammo.

Aside from the variable port sized gas tubes.. there’s not much tuning options available for AR10’s to my knowledge.

Don’t have a menagerie of buffer weights and springs at your disposal.

I’ve had a Superlative on 5.56 SBR’s before. Worked okay. The “bleed off” function never seemed to do much for me.

The mechanism is similar to the Odin Works blocks with the clicky detents for the adjustments. That’s what I’ve got on my 308 AR10.

Proof Research recommends adjustable gas blocks for their AR10 barrels because they can't figure out what size the gas port SHOULD be. They use Kim Kardashian-sized gas ports......big gaping holes.

SA makes a good adjustable gas block.

Black River Tactical makes gas tubes with various size ports for choking off too much gas. I prefer that over an AGB for an over-gassed gun.

If you build a properly balanced system, you shouldn't need an AGB to get the gun to run suppressed/un-suppressed, but using that PR barrel is gonna guarantee that you're already over-gassed......unless they've changed their ports recently.

Back
Top Bottom