• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"AC just needs a charge"

I have been going through the same thing as well. Looking for an older beater 4x4. An when I hear, "It just needs a recharge which shouldn't cost much"...which explains why your 1988 1500 has not had a recharge in 20 years bud, price it out to repair and recharge.
100%

I drove over an hour to check out a truck and I had specifically asked if the AC worked and dude said yes. I get there and check out the truck and ask if I can drive it. Dude gets real cagey and goes "Uh, yeah, but heads up...I think the AC sprung a leak last night." Inside I'm boiling but I came all this way, right? I drove the truck and sure enough, AC is not cold, at all. But it's ticking all the other boxes.

So I get back to dude's house and we talk for a bit and I tell him that I might be his buyer but I need two grand off the top to cover the AC work and - you guessed it - he says "Aw, c'mon man, it just needs a charge." I then said, "Alright, $2500 off the top." He then proceeds to get pissy with me because I'm low balling him. I thanked him for his time and left.

Full disclosure, it was not an ODT guy.

Whenever I hear "its a simple or inexpensive fix", I think to myself, well why did the seller not bother to fix it if it is so simple or inexpensive.
As for AC, 3 cans of refrigerant for $35 is cheap so why did the seller not charge it? If it leaked down overnight, then the odds of it needing more than a few o-rings and a recharge are are significantly greater. :(

Thanks to a 16 yr old new driver, I have to replace my condenser in my Tundra. Any idea what pricing would be to have a shop refill the system? Trying to decide if I want to just use that money to but the gauges and DIY it.

Thanks to a 16 yr old new driver, I have to replace my condenser in my Tundra. Any idea what pricing would be to have a shop refill the system? Trying to decide if I want to just use that money to but the gauges and DIY it.
The guy that bought my Magnum was apparently a Dodge mechanic...or rather his buddy was. I have an old Dodge van I'm restoring and I asked him the same thing. He said the "trick" was to ask the shop to fill the system for a leak test. Apparently that's roughly $100. Then, you get AC for a while and you take it back and you know if it really is a leak or if something else is busted. I'm totally not a mechanic so that may have lost something in translation but that's what I remember. I remember at the time thinking that was a low number because I feel like Freon is around $40/lb and surely there's more than two or three pounds in a system? But again...what do I know?

Just stop it. No it doesn't. An AC system is not designed to need recharging. It's not a cell phone battery. If it "just needs a charge," it has a leak, which means it's broken....or worse off, it has a faulty compressor or condenser or evaporator or whatever else it is. Do people really fall for that? "Oh, it just needs a charge? That's no biggie." We all know you're slimy and we all know it doesn't just "need a charge." So please, just stop it and say "The AC doesn't work."

Thank you, all. :ranger:
All the time. If I was doing HVAC you'd need at least three pounds of the "$100/lb gas" when I "recharged" your system. This is in addition to my regular charge of $178 for replacing the $4.00 Chineseuem capacitor.

All the time. If I was doing HVAC you'd need at least three pounds of the "$100/lb gas" when I "recharged" your system. This is in addition to my regular charge of $178 for replacing the $4.00 Chineseuem capacitor.
Like I just said above, I'm working on this old Dodge Van and every.single.time I go to AutoZone and I see that $45 bottle of "Coolant System Sealant and Refrigerant," I almost buy it. But I never do because I've convinced myself it's the same thing as lighting $45 on fire.

Depends on the car. If it's an older r12 system I'd be very wary. But if it's r134 just take a $5 can of freon with you. After all it just needs a charge right?

Back
Top Bottom